Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I just wanted to post and introduce myself to the forum. My fiance just got me our first hedgehog last Friday. I have been looking to get one for two years, and have been lurking all over this website to get information. We purchased her from a hobby breeder (by sheer luck. If we hadn't found this breeder, we would have driven 4 hours to get one in about three weeks.) We finally decided on a name, Fae, and she is doing so good in our home, we work with her a lot and have really started to make progress on her diva attitude! :lol:

We only seem to have one problem with Fae. She is great once we get her out, very vocal and snuggley. However, as soon as she is in her cage, she is VERY huffy, and tries to bite us. If she is out and about, we rarely have this problem. I'm sure it's normal, being that she is 8 weeks old and still getting used to us and our home. However, as a first time mommy, I'd just like some reassurance and maybe some tips to help!

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Katie and little Fae (and fiance' of course)~ Welcome!
When I got my baby she was around the same age and I think a lot of it has to do with the new surroundings and new smells~ everything is different and new! She may also start going through a quilling soon (if she hasn't started already) which can affect their personality~ I know I wouldn't want a hundred pokey things coming out of my back! Ouch! I'd say give it time and have patience~ my fiance' has to remind me of this often! :lol:
Since you've waited a while to get her, I'm sure you've done a lot of research. Isn't is so much different when you actually have one?! I love my hedgie! Just keep spending time with her and try to get on a routine as far as what time you take her out etc. and be sure that you don't have any smells on your hands that would attract her biting. I've been bitten by Miss Muffet one time and I was in shock! It was when she was probably 10 weeks old or so and I had just put her back into her cage and thought it was cute that she was licking my hand until she latched onto my palm~ last time I let her do that!!! Do you still try to touch her once she's back in her cage or are you moving things around once she's back in there? Just wondering how she's trying to get to you if she's back in the cage. :)

~Melissa

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome! We definitely are glad we were so prepared for her when we got her. (As prepared as you can be before she shows up!) Having great information definitely made our transition easier. Its still a learning experience for sure. No matter how much I read, there's always something she does that makes me nervous! She's not that different from having a human baby I suppose! :lol:

Anyhow, back to the point. When we put her back in at bed time, she instantly gets huffy and starts to snap. When we get her out in the day to spend some time with her, she does the same, until we (eventually) get her out. As soon as she is out, shes all loving and snuggly! I think she may just get nervous since she's enclosed? Maybe she feels trapped?

·
Administrator
3,729 Posts
Some will act like this when in their cage. I have had a couple now that will be snappy little guys until their feet come off the ground, then they just look around with the expression of "what?".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts