Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I just got my first hedgehog, Holden, and I just have a few basic questions.

It's 1pm here and she's sleeping. Whenever she goes to sleep, she burrows under all of her bedding so she's completely covered. Is that normal?

She also makes these sneezing-like sounds, but they could just be the normal sounds she makes. I'm trying to keep an eye out on that. It isn't 24/7, but a few times a day.

I live in a colder area of the USA which I know is a problem. Right now I'm trying to keep my room at a very warm temperature and I have a heating pad under one side of her cage. Is there anything else I can do to keep her warm? I'm looking into buying a lamp, but I have to wait for my paycheck.

Also, I have a water bowl now for her, but I'm thinking about switching to one of the water bottles. Whenever I put her food bowl or water bowl down, she flips them over right away. Some people have told me that if she just keeps flipping the food bowl over, to just put the food in a corner so she can just eat it that way?

If you have any suggestions, please let me know! I'm really nervous because this is my first hedgehog and I want everything to be perfect for her.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Covering themselves up is comforting to them. They are prey animals. If they don't bury themselves some they are more exposed. Nothing to worry about there.

Without a proper heating system in place, you run the very real risk of hibernation and upper respiratory infections. Sneezing is a sign of a uri. Upper respiratory infections in hedgehogs don't go away like with other animals.
Your best bet is to get her to the vet for a well pet exam. Have the vet check for signs of a URI and get a proper hearing system in place.

With that there are a few options. No matter what option you choose, you need a thermometer in the cage.
You could use a space heater, you homes heating system, or a CHE set up.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Heating pads are not recommended, the hedgehog can burn himself, or get too comfy and not move, nor even to eat or drink.

Water bottles are not recommended either, you might want to glue the bowl to a tile so it's heavy and your hedgie can't move it.

I would consider the vet visit ASAP if he has a uri, you don't want to wait.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of your questions (and more) are answered by reading the stickies. They are really informative and fun to read. :smiley:

For a good, constant temperature I would suggest a CHE setup. For me it's the only thing that really works and keeps my hedgie happy.

For my hedgie I use sturdy, heavy ceramic bowls. He can't tip them over and everything stays in it's place :)

Enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do they sound like achoo sneezes? Is she licking her nose? Bubbles from nose? Is she oozing? If so those are all symptoms of an infection and she needs antibiotics

1 - 5 of 5 Posts