Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I will become a new hedgie owner tomorrow and can't wait, I'm so excited! I'm very happy to have found this website and forum, I've been reading up a lot recently to prepare for my new arrival. Much thanks for so much great info!

I found a nice breeder not too far from where I live and have already made a visit there to pick out my hedgie, a baby female that seems to be in the brown range of color. She was still too small to take home last week and I'm glad I got the extra time to prepare and read up more! I was happy to meet the breeder and see her hedgies, all were in impeccable conditon, very clean and looked healthy. The babies are so adorable!!! It was so hard to pick one, lol!

She will be named Kiwi :) And I'm pretty much done setting up her new home. To start with I'm using an aquarium I have on hand (30 gallons I think, 36" long, 12" wide, 16" high), my bf is making a second level for about half the tank 5-6" high with ramp. I have bought aspen shavings to use as liner but will switch to liners when the bag is finished (should be soon, 1/2 bag to line the tank!) I have set up a litter pan with some everyday fresh, got a nice big safety wheel for exercise, igloo and polar fleece blankies, food dish. After reading a few topics here, I intend to switch the water bottle I had purchased for a water bowl after work this evening.

I have a few questions that any input would be much appreciated!

Would the above setup be adequate for my hedgie when full grown? Does the extra space on the second level count for floor space needed?

Do I need to use the wire aquarium top for a hedgehog? Can they jump? from the second level, there will be at least 11" of smooth glass to the top of the aquarium. Would a hedgie be able to climb out of this? (there will be nothing along the sides of it to grab hold of)

In terms of food, the staple will be mix of cat foods supplemented with insects (mostly mealworms and crickets) and the occasional treats of fruits and veggies. Does this sound right? (approx):
70-80% staple food
10-20% insects
5% or less treats

Can they eat ofther feeder bugs such as silkworms or wax worms (occasionally)?

Thanks for any advice!
Will post pictures of Kiwi when I get her tomorrow :)

Anny

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Aquariums are not a good choice for hedgies at all.

-The ventilation is bad. The fumes from hedgie poop and pee will remain in the cage, and that will be all your hedgie smells.
-Also, how are you planning on heating the cage? Most hedgies are most comfortable around the 75F range. If heat emitter, then that's even WORSE for ventilation.

-To get the appropriate size (min 2ft uncovered floor space) it's VERY heavy
You need to fit a wheel in there

Do a search(upper right corner) for aquariums and you'll find that everyone here is highly against using an aquarium.
Check out the cage discussion thread for better and safer cage ideas ^_^
--------------------------
If you plan on making levels in the cage, make sure that the sides are ALL boarded up/covered. A fall from a mere few inches can be enough to kill your hedgie.(true facts as experienced by others here)

------------------------

Have you checked out Reaper's list of cat food? It'll really help you pick out the better brands of food ^_^

Silk and wax are fine to feed occasionally as well, though you might find that your hedgie will bite into it, chew it and spit it back out for you :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the helpful advice!

The tank is now a temporary setup (big enough to fit wheel and all other necessities, see size in original post) until I make my C&C cage. I've found the stores in town that sell the coroplast and cubes and will be getting them shortly, should be less than a week before it's done.

As for heating, I keep my place at 75-77 as I easily get chilly myself, in the summer the a/c is rarely used, only on very hot days to cool down a little bit. I'm using digital thermometer to keep track and make sure the cage for Kiwi stays at the right range. If for some reason it doesn't, I will certainly get the appropriate heating supplement she needs.

I'm off to go pick her up today around 11 so it's not much longer now!

That's so funny about spitting out the worms! I guess many hedgies don't like the very juicy ones?!

Will update later today with a pic or two!

About the hedgie jumping, could a young hedgie jump 11" up smooth tank glass? I need to know if I have to use my wire cover, I'd rather not as the door is quite small and it's a bit of a pain. For the moment, I haven't put in the second floor loft so it's actually about 14-15" but I'd still like to know with the loft if it would be safe.

Thanks a ton! :)

Anny

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Anny said:
About the hedgie jumping, could a young hedgie jump 11" up smooth tank glass? I need to know if I have to use my wire cover, I'd rather not as the door is quite small and it's a bit of a pain. For the moment, I haven't put in the second floor loft so it's actually about 14-15" but I'd still like to know with the loft if it would be safe.

Thanks a ton! :)

Anny
Yes, most definately a baby hedgehog could get over 11". A few months ago I had a 6 week old baby boy get over the 13" side of his bin. He had no wheel and no igloo to climb, just a hedgie bag and his food and water bowls. I have no clue how he managed to do it. I'd never before had it happen and didn't think lids on the weaning bins were necessary unless they had wheels or an igloo. Now they have lids no matter what furniture they have. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts