Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am yet another new hedgie owner :) I've been reading as much as I can find on this forum for the past couple of months, ever since we found a local breeder and put down our deposit on our hedgehog. We went to visit our new little guy when he was just three weeks old, and that's when my 3 yr old daughter gave him the very appropriate name of "Pokey." We brought him home when he was 6 weeks old, which was almost two weeks ago.

The first night he was pretty scared, constantly balled up, hissing and pooping. I've been working with him every day and he's gotten much better. He still pops and hisses when I first get him out, but he unballs almost immediately and starts to explore. Last night he didn't even ball up when I reached in to get him, just fussed and wiggled a little when I picked him up.

He ate his first mealie last night. Once he realized what it was he devoured it and started annointing :) His breeder had him on Purina kitten chow so that's what I am currently feeding, but I just received samples of Wellness Indoor Health and CSFTCLS, and I'm waiting on one of Natrual Balance Green Pea and Duck. Fromm sent me a coupon so I can try them as well. Beginning tonight I'm going to introduce one new food each week to see what he likes so we can start weaning him onto a better food blend.

I just wanted to thank you all so much for all of your help and wonderfully informative posts. I've always had exotic pets in the past and one thing I've definitely learned is that you can find much more up-to-date information on forums like this than you can from a book or even most vets. That's why I was so excited to find this website. I know I still have a lot to learn, and it's very reassuring to know I can come here for help. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Congrats on your little guy and welcome to the fun! :mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts