Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I bought my Hedgehog Moose on monday (it is nowwww thursday) and he is getting settled in still. I have given him everything I read about... a wheel, a house, an old t-shirt of mine to get him used to my smell (which he noshes on constantly) food&water, a leather bird toy for him to explore and chew on and a cat toy that he drags into his igloo with him and onto the wheel.
I have done everything I can to make my little Moose happy and feel safe. When I am near the cage he runs up to smell me and then scurries and hides away in his home or under his wheel.

My question is simply this... How long did you wait before you began handling your hedgie regularly? I don't want to spook mine (and he spooks easily)
I know at the pet store the let him out once a week but that isnt enough for my little guy and I know that... I am thinking since he is still skittish I might wait till saturday when I give his cage a good scrub down to introduce him to my bedroom. Is this a good idea? I don't really have much choice.. I am really busy this week (don't worry I definitely have time for my Hedgie, this is just a hectic week of events that were TOTALLY unplanned and very out of the blue)
our schedules seem to mesh well right now in these first few days... i am out for some of the day while he sleeps and by the time i am home in the evening he is wide awake and exploring (and I must add rearranging) his cage.

I want to know that when I do handle him if it is okay for me to use light thin winter gloves? Or I have heard of people using slotted spoons or spatulas until their hedgie is used to being lifted?

:) I love my little Moose. He is very chipper and Spry. I really hope you can lend me some good advice.

(also when I do take him out is it good to bring his cat toy with him so he has something familiar to play with?)

Thanks a bunch! :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd go ahead and start getting him used to you. How I'd approach is to put my hand in his house and let him explore it on his own. Dim the light, talk softly, tell him that you're going to pick him up, then go for it. I'd skip the gloves and the spoons, just put one hand (palm up) on his left side and the other on his right, fingers pointed toward each other, then move your hands together until you've scooped him up. If he puffs up for awhile, then settles down, that's a good sign. If he stays super huffy-puffy and it's impossible to pick him up, I'd just leave my hand near him for awhile and call that "success" at getting acquainted for tonight. In the future, I'd think about getting a small blanket and using that to help in picking him upif he's a super huffy-puffer.

I held my hedgie on the first day at the breeder's house. Then left her on her own for the night. The next evening, I picked her up and snuggled with her. She ran around in circles, then fell asleep in my hands. Mine, though, is quite the snuggler. Her breeder handled her before I met her. You may or may not end up with different results depending on your little one's temperament and history. To this day, mine will fuff at me at least a tiny bit when I first disrupt her by shifting her blanket around to pick her up. But she settles down rather quickly and is typically very good at getting picked up.

Either way, though, I'd start getting him accustomed to whatever you've decided will be his usual routine. Just do it in small steps if he's freaking out... be sure to watch for any signs of distress and be ready to adapt if he's looking scared (have a fleece blanket or t-shirt he can hide under; turn the tv/music off; sing softly; bring him back to his home after only maybe 5 minutes to start; etc...).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Thanks so much, that was super helpful. I am going to try that this evening when I get home. He sleeps most of the day and I don't want to interrupt his schedule just yet. :)
I think I will try lifting him with a blanket first... he huffs up pretty easily so it might be easier on both of us if I try to lift him with something very soft and cozy like his little blanket.

:D
I really hope he warms up to me. He seems like an explorer more than a snuggler lol so it will be interesting to see how he reacts to being in my bedroom.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Congrats on your new hedgie! I gave mine the weekend to adjust and you've already given that amount of time. I do call out to my hedgies before I pick them up. When I enter the room I just call to them to wake them, announce myself, so I'm not startling them when I reach in. Sometimes they will still be in their ball but oh well. I tried. Usually though they start to stir. I don't use gloves, I just double up the small blanket for my extra pokey one, Whyte, until I can get him scooped up. Once he's up and starts to unball I don't usually need the blanket unless I want to keep him on my lap. He startles and puffs a lot, still.

I would suggest a playpen setup (they have cute ones at petsmart) instead of just letting him run loose in your bedroom. They can get into nooks and crannies very quickly.

I work with mine every night, even if its just to scoop them up and say good night because I didn't actually get time to cuddle. I think consistency helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Moose' first handling was a success. I decided to play it safe and use a blankie i had slept with the past few nights as a barrier between us and as my mom helped clean his cage he curled up on my bed with the blankie around him. I gave him his cat toy and he balled up and huffed a bunch. When I moved him back into his cage he seemed a little more trusting of me. He didn't huff or ball up he stretched himslef out (I think he was reaching for his little igloo since he ran right inside when I set him down). I figure he might take a while to warm up to me... he was in that pet shop for 5 months without really being held so he is fairly independent.
:p I am very pleased with how this went. I am going to do it again wednesday and ease him into getting used to being around me. I don't want to force it upon him :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.