Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions in bold below...I got my 8-week old hedgie, Poppa, a week and a half ago. He adjusted to his new cage almost straightaway and loves it in there! Clicks/hops/hisses like crazy when I go to pick him up or touch his quills, but I know this is normal with a new hedgie.

In terms of bonding, I put my t-shirt in his cage, let him sit in my lap while watching TV every day for 30 min-1 hour, and let him sit in a snuggle sack on my chest. At first it would take him 20 minutes to unball in my lap, and now after a week he will unball more quickly and start exploring. He will jump at "P" and "S" sounds and certain noises, but will slowly peek his head out quicker than when he is in full-ball mode.

The past few nights he's been very grumpy while in my bed, even after some time has passed he will have his quills only slightly raised and just rest with his head down. I'm not sure if he is sleeping, or scared, while in this state. At first I thought maybe he had to go to the bathroom or just wasn't in the mood. However, as soon as I bring him near his cage, he will completely come to life. The past two nights when I brought him within scent-range of his cage, he actually let me hold him and transfer him between my hands (with a few scared moments of course). Was this a breakthrough moment, or is he so focused on getting back to the cage that he will put down his quills? Is this an encouraging sign? I noticed he also does this when he's trying to get off his back, he will use my fingers as support to flip himself over but other times when I touch his quills he freaks out. Thoughts?

Last question...I've tried to give him mealworms, sweet potatoes, and bananas, and he will take a bite and anoint with them but all he seems to like is his dang kitten food! :-D I want to give him treats to spur on the bonding process, but is it enough that he will associate me as the bearer of good smells?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In terms of not eating anything besides cat food i think is preety normal. My hedgehog doesn't eat veggies too. Maybe try giving him an boiled egg, if u want to change things up. As for the bonding? Is he still grumpy? Its been a while since you posted this so waiting for an updade.?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts