Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! A week ago a adopted my first hedgehog, a retired stud named Forest. He is three years old and very sweet. I have done lots of research but I do have a few questions.

The breeder has him on a mix of high protein cat food and dried mealworms. I bought Vitamix hedgehog food and am slowly working him on that instead, but last night he ate the small bit of Vitamix and none of his other food. If he's not going to eat his other food should I do a full change? I want to make sure he gets enough nutrition.

Secondly, I'm having a hard time figuring out his schedule and it seems he is too. What is the best way to get him on a standard schedule?

Thirdly what are some things I should look out for as he transitions into our family?

I appreciate all the help and information!
Green Mesh Drinkware Pet supply Road surface
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Head Domesticated hedgehog Eye
Vertebrate Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Animal feed
Rat Whiskers Rodent Wood Fawn
Green Mesh Drinkware Pet supply Road surface

Vertebrate Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Animal feed

Rat Whiskers Rodent Wood Fawn

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Head Domesticated hedgehog Eye

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't recommend feeding him hedgehog food- oftentimes it's actually missing a lot of the necessary nutrients and won't keep your hedgie happy for long! My hedgehog was a rescue, and her previous owners fed her only hedgehog food (VitaKraft, I think). She was just below 200 grams when I got her year and a half ago. Now she's about 400 grams after switching to cat food! I'd suggest sticking with cat food or a mix of both, but not to switch entirely to hedgehog food.
The best way to get him on a schedule is to be consistient in everything you do with him. Out of the cage for cuddles at the same time every day, cage spot cleaned/food put in/water swapped out at the same time, full cage deep cleans on the same day every week. The more consistient you are, the easier of a time he'll have adjusting!
Mostly just keep an eye on him :) Monitor his behaviours, his food intake, the temperature in his enclosure, his activity levels, and of course, his droppings! They might be a little green or wetter than usual the first little bit, that's okay, that's his body reacting to the stress of being in a new place. If it continues for more than a few days though it could be worth a trip to the vet, just to check it out.

A few tips-
As he is three years old, you need to keep a close eye on his behavioirs and, once he has it, his routine. Health issues develop quickly with these little guys, especially as they get older.
If you're using wood chips for bedding, you have to be extremely careful and make sure that it is not pine or cedar bedding. They are both harmful and even toxic to your hedgie. If you're using paper bedding, that is definitely a better choice and safer for your little guy!
Do you have a thermostat? If not, you need one. They are essential in making sure the enclosure doesn't get too hot or too cold. Hibernation is no joke!
Adding onto this, it looks like his heat lamp is angled on top of his cage. It's easier to control and ensure all the heat is going into their cage if you instead lay it flat on top. Because it's a wire frame cage that's an option for you :)
I might also suggest switching the wheel he has. While the flat disc ones are okay, bucket wheels are typically better for the hedgie.
There's usually 12" diameter (no smaller, if they are arching their back when they run it can lead to spinal issues) wheels in pet stores. I recommend either Kaytee Comfort Wheel (it's loud, but fairly sturdy) or, if your stores have it, Full Cheeks Running Wheel (near silent, far sturdier, far better than the Comfort Wheel). There's also Carolina Storm Wheels but they are online only.
I noticed he has a bottle as well. Does he seem to be drinking easily from it? It might be worth putting in a water bowl as well to see which he prefers. I've heard stories of hedgies that refuse to drink from bowls, and vice versa lol!
One last thing- I'd remove the ramp in his cage. It looks pretty steep, and it doesn't have any sides to prevent falls. If you want to keep it in, you could make it longer so the slope is less steep, and thus safer for Forest, but I would remove it entirely. It is up to you though!
Lol, this post got very long very fast! Whoops! I hope this was helpful :D If you have any nore questions, I'm happy to answer! Good luck and congrats on your new hedgie!!
P.S. Forest looks absolutely adorable and very happy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't recommend feeding him hedgehog food- oftentimes it's actually missing a lot of the necessary nutrients and won't keep your hedgie happy for long! My hedgehog was a rescue, and her previous owners fed her only hedgehog food (VitaKraft, I think). She was just below 200 grams when I got her year and a half ago. Now she's about 400 grams after switching to cat food! I'd suggest sticking with cat food or a mix of both, but not to switch entirely to hedgehog food.
The best way to get him on a schedule is to be consistient in everything you do with him. Out of the cage for cuddles at the same time every day, cage spot cleaned/food put in/water swapped out at the same time, full cage deep cleans on the same day every week. The more consistient you are, the easier of a time he'll have adjusting!
Mostly just keep an eye on him :) Monitor his behaviours, his food intake, the temperature in his enclosure, his activity levels, and of course, his droppings! They might be a little green or wetter than usual the first little bit, that's okay, that's his body reacting to the stress of being in a new place. If it continues for more than a few days though it could be worth a trip to the vet, just to check it out.

A few tips-
As he is three years old, you need to keep a close eye on his behavioirs and, once he has it, his routine. Health issues develop quickly with these little guys, especially as they get older.
If you're using wood chips for bedding, you have to be extremely careful and make sure that it is not pine or cedar bedding. They are both harmful and even toxic to your hedgie. If you're using paper bedding, that is definitely a better choice and safer for your little guy!
Do you have a thermostat? If not, you need one. They are essential in making sure the enclosure doesn't get too hot or too cold. Hibernation is no joke!
Adding onto this, it looks like his heat lamp is angled on top of his cage. It's easier to control and ensure all the heat is going into their cage if you instead lay it flat on top. Because it's a wire frame cage that's an option for you :)
I might also suggest switching the wheel he has. While the flat disc ones are okay, bucket wheels are typically better for the hedgie.
There's usually 12" diameter (no smaller, if they are arching their back when they run it can lead to spinal issues) wheels in pet stores. I recommend either Kaytee Comfort Wheel (it's loud, but fairly sturdy) or, if your stores have it, Full Cheeks Running Wheel (near silent, far sturdier, far better than the Comfort Wheel). There's also Carolina Storm Wheels but they are online only.
I noticed he has a bottle as well. Does he seem to be drinking easily from it? It might be worth putting in a water bowl as well to see which he prefers. I've heard stories of hedgies that refuse to drink from bowls, and vice versa lol!
One last thing- I'd remove the ramp in his cage. It looks pretty steep, and it doesn't have any sides to prevent falls. If you want to keep it in, you could make it longer so the slope is less steep, and thus safer for Forest, but I would remove it entirely. It is up to you though!
Lol, this post got very long very fast! Whoops! I hope this was helpful :D If you have any nore questions, I'm happy to answer! Good luck and congrats on your new hedgie!!
P.S. Forest looks absolutely adorable and very happy!

Thank you! This was all very helpful. He does have a wheel coming, but the bigger one for him with the cage clip I could only get online, it should deliver today.

I did move him to paper bedding once I got the larger cage, but the wood bedding he was in Aspen was not cedar or pine.

I do have a thermometer and his cage has been consistently 75 degrees.

Again I do really appreciate your feedback, and I will more research on his food. The vet I have and some research said that they will live longer on a balanced hedgehog diet and be less prone to obesity but I am still reading, there is so much information!

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's all awesome to hear! And I agree, there is so much information about how to properly care for these little guys it's insane! Forest sounds like he's in pretty great hands though :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I forgot to mention the ramp, the ramp is part of his cage build and because it did seem pretty steep I ended up elongating the tube so it could be used to go between the two sections. the fabric on it is pretty slick too she he was just overall having a hard time with it. I just got the bigger cage yesterday so I am still fidling with the cage set up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's really clever! The ridges will make climbing the tube easy :) I had a nearly identical one and let me tell you Pebbles loved climbing it! I hope your boy finds it a lot easier and a lot more fun than the ramp!
A quick tip for the set-up- I might put another hidey in, if there's room, so Forest can have a few choices of where to sleep. If it's a hard plastic hidey you could even put lots of his bedding inside the hidey for him to burrow in! Encouraging natural behaviours like digging, burrowing, and foraging helps keep your hedgie entertained and healthy :)! Small squares of fleece are also great for burrowing and are washable (provided they're in a mesh laundry bag lol!)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tell me if a bank statement for a UK visa is a mandatory task.
I'm....not sure you're on the right forum? This is for hedgehogs.
I did do a quick google search though, and this came up. Not sure if it's what you mean, but hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tell me if a bank statement for a UK visa is a mandatory task.
There is a lot of misunderstanding about how much bank statement is necessary for a UK travel visa. Mostly because UKVI does not offer clear instructions https://fitmymoney.com/guaranteed-credit-card-approval-no-deposit/ on how to read bank statements. Not only how many months of statements should you have, but also how much cash should you have, what kind of transactions are permitted, and so on.
You must produce bank statements for the last six months that clearly illustrate your monthly pay and financial obligations. Other than your pay, there should be no substantial monetary deposits. The total amount saved must be at least twice the amount spent on your projected vacation to the United Kingdom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts