Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a hedgehog tonight and he kind of had some diareah. I think its because the pet store was giving him bad food. I put some iams and wellness in his food bowl and he seems to like it. His poop seems to be getting a bit firmer which is good. He is about 12 or 10 weeks old im not sure. He seems to be healthy. I also think he may have either mites or dry skin. He keeps itching himself. Theres a really gross thing that he does though. He started to wake up and i noticed that he started chewing and cleaning something. I thought it was just his foot. But than i noticed that there were 4 legs not beinG CLEANED. I than looked closer and saw him cleaning / chewing on his private. It was so disgusting, so i was wondering if any of your hedgehogs have done that. It was disgusting. Im not sure if they do that so i wanted to know. Im sorry if it grosses any of you out. I just wanted to make sure that he is fine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
jayberrylee said:
Theres a really gross thing that he does though. He started to wake up and i noticed that he started chewing and cleaning something. I thought it was just his foot. But than i noticed that there were 4 legs not beinG CLEANED. I than looked closer and saw him cleaning / chewing on his private. It was so disgusting, so i was wondering if any of your hedgehogs have done that. It was disgusting. Im not sure if they do that so i wanted to know. Im sorry if it grosses any of you out. I just wanted to make sure that he is fine.
He's just being a normal GUY hedgie. ;) No worries.

Bad poop could be from stress at the pet store, stress from transportation, but probably more so because of the non-nutritional foods that most pet stores feed the hedgehogs. Should get better with the high quality cat foods you are now feeding.

Itching could be from dry skin or mites. The high quality cat food will help with this also. You can do a search on HHC for dry skin and/or mites and find many replies, so no need to repeat here.

Congrats on your new little "excited" guy. :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts