Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first thing's first, I didn't know if this would go under the breeding forum or this forum. Sorry if it is the wrong forum. Well, anyway, my neighbor and I bred our hedgehogs about a month-and-a-half ago. The new hedgehogs were born about two weeks ago. I don't know when I'm able to get my new hedgehog that's over at my neighbors house because they're taking care of the hedgehogs as babies before I can get him. If the hedgehogs were born two weeks ago, when can I have my hedgehog to come to my house without the mother?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Babies don't usually go to their new homes until 7 or 8 weeks, I believe. They need to be weaned from their mother and the caretaker needs to be sure that the baby is eating kibble well and does fine in a cage alone.

Edit: Um, I'm sorry, but can you afford two hedgehogs? I saw from one of your other posts that you're in middle school and you said you couldn't even afford toys... Are your parents willing to pay for vet bills for two hedgehogs and such? And do you have two cages in case you have different genders or the two don't get along?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
As Kelsey said, you'd need 2 of everything, because not all hedgies are able to live with another, and can easily fight to the death.

Now....May I ask WHY you and your neighbor decided to breed your hedgehogs?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Ooh, yikes. I'm not going to get into it but you and your neighbor breeding was a BAD idea. *shudder, puke, whatever comes along from hearing something like this*

Okay. So, you have a male hedgie, right? And you're keeping one of your male's babies? If so, you need to go buy a second set of everything you have. A new cage, new wheel, new dishes, new hiding place, everything. Your male will not be able to live with another male, and absolutely not with a female, especially his own daughter.

You say you're getting a him. Have your neighbors already sexed them? The shouldn't even be bothered until 2 weeks, and if your neighbor is in middle school too, I would have an adult sex them for you.

You need to get in contact with a breeder who can help your neighbor with all the specifics in raising the hedgies until weaning, which should be around six weeks. They should be doing well on their own (no siblings) eating and drinking okay before they go to their new home at 7-8 weeks.

Yikes, and good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My neighbors are adults who are doing it, and my family and I already knew the circumstances of everything. We already know that we would need to buy two of everything for the hedgehogs. We have everything figured out about what we need to do. The one question I asked was the last thing I didn't know. Thank you for everyones answers, questions, and concerns. It was my parents and my neighbors who wanted me to find everything out for our new baby. The mother wasn't interrupted after she gave birth for about two weeks. The hedgehogs are already born. My parents would pay for everything I need for the hedgies. We will take care of the hedgehogs no matter what it takes. And once again, thanks for everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts