Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just brought home a new hedgehog and it's been about two days now since she's come to her new home. She seem's accustomed to my scent as she allows me to pick her up without rolling into a ball and let's me pet her most of the time without "huffing", but I've yet to see her eat or drink which worries me. I've tried bribing her with an egg and soft cat food as well but she still wouldn't eat them.

She also looks and acts perfectly healthy when I let her roam around my apartment but whenever she's in her cage she just sit's in her hide-hole. Is this just normal behavior for her being so new? I just don't want her to starve or get dehydrated.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Its normal for them to stay in their hides a lot when they first come into a new home. Even after being settled in its normal for them to stay in there all day until late at night. Your hedgie may be eatting and drinking when you are asleep. One trick you can do is count the food before you give it too him to see how much he is eatting and keep track of where the water level is in the bowl. Sometimes too when they first get into a new home they will be too scared to venture out to the food so you can try leaving some food in his bed with him. Is he pooping and peeing? If he's going to the bathroom good it may be that he is just eatting and drinking when everyone is asleep and you'll have to count the food to make sure.

Congrats on the new hedgie and welcome to HHC :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She seems to be pooping fine, and it's the normal colour. I'll have to count out the food once I get home so I can keep track of it, when do they usually start to eat treats?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It's best to wait to offer any new foods or treats until the hedgehog has been in their new home for a few weeks. After two or three weeks, you can start introducing one new thing at a time. Keep in mind that you may need to offer a new food several times before they'll try tasting it or eating it.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
For mine I waited a couple of weeks to make sure they were settled. After introducing I'd wait a week or so for signs of stomach upset before introducing a new one. It can be a long process and if you are incorporating a new food into the mix you won't want to introduce more than one thing at a time that way if there is a problem you know what caused it.
Code:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts