Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I got my new hedgehog, and I left him in his cage for a bit so he could get used to the smell, noises, etc. I later went out for about an hour because I need to buy some things for him, and when I came back I noticed some of his quills were at the bottom of the cage, should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How old is he/she? I've yet to have a young one but he/she is probably starting quilling, which is where they drop out their baby quills for larger ones.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
One of the other experienced owners will chime in, but he is either quilling or he might have mites, I say that because in the other thread about shampoo you said he's a dirty boy, which is making me wonder where you got him from. Did you get him from a breeder or a pet shop? He's probably just quilling, and if so, hedgehogs can be very grumpy during this period.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got him from a previous owner, but I'm not sure where he got him from. I hope he doesn't have mites. :(

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Mites are very commons, Symptoms include quill loss, scratching, dry flaky skin, and tattered ears. Mite infestations can lead to red inflamed skin, open sores, blindness, ear infections and death. See your vet for mite treatments. Wash and disinfect cages, wheels, etc. Remove any wood products (hidey logs, etc) from the hedgehogs cage, these products are nearly impossible to disinfect, and can harbor mites and their eggs. One method to help determine if there are mites present, place your hedgehog on a black cloth and gently rub its quills. Next place the cloth under a bright light and look for white dots that are moving about. If you see movement then your hedgehog has mites.
That's from the Disorder section of HHC. Mites are somewhat easy to treat, you get yourself some Revolution For Kittens either from your vet or you can find it for sale online, and give them a small drop on their back between the shoulder blades. You give them .01 ml (point zero one) with a syringe (without the needle) per 400g of weight.

If you can take pictures of the little guy, might help other members to identify if he has mites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts