Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have an eight week old hedgehog named Milo. He's my first hedgie and I want to make sure that I am providing him with the best home possible.

I made a home for him out of two 105 qt clear bins. They have:

Fleece Liners
Food and Water Bowls
Storm Wheel
Hedgie Bag
Two Small Balls
Stuffed Animal

They also have lids without the middle section for lots of air flow.

I provide fresh water every morning and night and about four tablespoons of fresh food in the evenings. He is eating Simply Nourish Kitten: Chicken Formula.

For bonding, I have been talking to him when getting near his home. I also take him out on the weekends to sleep on me for a little while during the day. Every evening, I take him out to cuddle and explore for about 30-60 minutes.

I've been picking him up and holding him in fleece but he did let me pick him up with just my hands after I gave him a bath the other day.

So I have three questions.

1. Am I doing everything right so far? Can I do anything to improve?

2. How should I adjust him to my hands instead of holding him in fleece? I imagine that it take patience and time for this.

3. I keep my house at 76 degrees. I know that drafts are not good for them so I redirected and just about closed the ceiling vent in that room (it is on the other side of the room from where his home is). The thermometer in his cage reads 77.2-78 degrees. Is this okay? Should I worry about a slight draft from the vent if I open it more to cool his home to a slightly lower temperature?

Thank you!

Kelsy

·
Registered
276 Posts
1. Everything sounds good! Yay for you!

2. I would just go for it, unless he's giving you clear signs that it's not okay. One way might be to pick him up with fleece (my hedgehog, anyway, doesn't like to be picked up, but is generally okay once in my hands) and then let him walk off of it onto your other hand or your arm, and then ditch the fleece. Your hedgehog will have been able to smell your hands through the fleece, so it should be fine. If you fear biting, there was a recent thread from a person whose hedgie has never bitten them about that fear you could check out.

3. If the vent is on the other side of the room, and not pointed towards the cage, I wouldn't worry too much - just remember that air-conditioner-75 feels slightly cooler than natural-75, and keep a few degrees above your target temperature when using AC. If your hedgehog is doing fine (no splatting, dehydration, panting, or other signs of overheating) at 77, then I'd leave it there, personally speaking.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
1. Sounds like you're doing a great job! :) One suggestion I have for the cage is (if you have the tools available or can borrow them) to drill some holes about halfway down the bins, all around them. That can help with airflow as well. You can use a hairdryer to warm the plastic up before you drill so you don't crack the plastic.

2. Pretty much just give it a shot! You can work on getting him used to being held in just your hands first, by doing so each time you get him out for increasing amounts of time. Then when he seems to be used to that, start trying to pick him up with your hands. Your hands will get used to his quills over time too, so letting them get poked won't be so bad.

3. Sounds like a great temperature. He may not need it cooler - go by his behavior. You could try opening the vent a bit to lower it to 75-76* and see how he reacts, but if he's eating/drinking/running, he's probably just fine with the temp. As long as the ceiling vent isn't over his cage, you should be fine for drafts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much! I'll let him walk on my hands while out and then try to pick him up that way to. I am ordering a heat lamp for winter months with a thermostat. Just in case the heat happens to go out while I'm not home, etc. I'll also put holes in the side of his home. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts