Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm choosing my hedgehog on Monday and I have some Questions.
What is the best bedding for a hedgehog?
I'm thinking about buying Carefresh are there any similar brands to this?
Does it matter if I get a male or a female hedgehog?
I read on the internet that Female hedgehogs have more health issues is this true?
Also I want to call my hedgehog Truffle and wanna know what you think about that name. Maybe you have some other cool suggetions :grin:
Thanks,
Sophie

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hello,
I'm choosing my hedgehog on Monday and I have some Questions.
What is the best bedding for a hedgehog?
I -- along with a lot of other people prefer fleece liners. The cost is greater upfront, but less in the long run since they are reusable. Other (big) advantages: they do not harbor mites, it is easier to see the consistency and color of feces & urine, no shavings scattered around the house, and spot cleaning is very easy. Drawbacks (which I consider minor) include the tendency of some hedgehogs to "liner dive" (burrow under the liner) and, though I've not experienced this at all, smell. Please note that those who experience an issue with smell on fleece likely also experience it using substrate bedding since it is usually rooted in diet or lack of thorough spot cleaning. If the fleece is absorbent enough (and it usually is, even without an absorbent middle layer) and changed at least weekly, there is usually little to no problem.

Fleece liners can be as fancy as two fleece layers sewn together with an absorbent layer in between, or they can be as simply as a length of fleece folded in half and cut to the size of the cage floor (no sewing required). Anti-pill fleece is recommended, and liners should be washed in unscented detergent without fabric softener. (Dryer balls can be used to provide fluff in the dryer.)

I'm thinking about buying Carefresh are there any similar brands to this?
Yes, there are many store brands. Carefresh is simply paper substrate bedding. If you choose it or similar bedding (or aspen wood substrate), be sure to freeze it for 24 hours prior to placing it in your hedgehogs cage as all substrate bedding may harbor mites.

Does it matter if I get a male or a female hedgehog?
This is a matter of preference. Every hedgehog is different, male or female. If you have several to choose from, choose the one with the temperament preferable to you. Some say males can be more aggressive, but I'm not sure how accurate that is outside of a setting where they are exposed to other hedgehogs. (Your hedgehog really should be exposed to other hedgehogs. They are solitary animals and happiest on their own or with their human. They do not need other hedgehog playmates, should never be housed together or left together for unsupervised playtime, and should never be placed together even for supervised playtime if they are differing sexes.) Do keep in mind that if your hedgehog is female and she inadvertently comes into contact with a males, she will like end up having babies -- a very risky endeavor that should not be undertaken by anyone but an experienced breeder or a novice breeder with a mentor. If your hedgehog is male, you will likely see evidence -- or even the act of -- "boy time" at some point. Also, small particles of various things -- such as litter or substrate -- can get stuck in a male's penile sheath (another argument for fleece).

I read on the internet that Female hedgehogs have more health issues is this true?
It may be true, but I'm not aware of it. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. All hedgehogs have a high likelihood of contacting some form of cancer in their lifetime, mites are inevitability at some point for virtually all hedgehog owners, respiratory infections can turn very serious very quickly for all hedgehogs, and injuries happen regardless of sex. Those seem to be the major areas of health concern. And of course, hedgehogs with unknown lineage -- all too common, unfortunately -- are at great risk for genetic conditions such as (but not necessarily limited to) Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome. If your breeder cannot offer a lifetime guarantee against WHS and that all lines of the herd are WHS free for at least 5 generations, be aware that you may be obtaining a hedgehog from a less than responsible breeder and may ultimately pay the price for doing so.

Also I want to call my hedgehog Truffle and wanna know what you think about that name. Maybe you have some other cool suggetions :grin:
I think that is a perfectly cute name, but the person who really needs to like the name is you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts