Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago I got my first hedgehog, my boy Myles. He is the sweetest little guy in the world loves to be held and played with, and his quills do not hurt at all even when he gets scared and goes into a ball. Then about a month later I got my girl Ivy, and she is scared of me, and every sound she hears. And her quills hurt when I get poked, often her quills break my skin.
The point here is why are their quills so different, is that normal? and is there anyway I can get my girl to be less scared?

Now for my next question, can hedgehogs catch human illnesses? I might have come down with the flu, and I'm afraid to play with them. I don't want to get them sick, but I also don't want to leave them alone till I'm better because I don't know how long that will be.

My girl Ivy
My boy Myles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'll have my mother get them out till I'm better, or atleast well enough to were they wont catch anything from me.

Age could be a factor between my hedgies quills, my boy is a month or two older than my girl. As for Ivy's personality, it has improved greatly since I first got her, she's just still very jumpy and timid. I also can't get her to eat meal worms, where Myles eats them like crazy. Is it possible my girl just doesn't like them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I give them live meal worms, but have also tried newly dead ones, Myles doesn't care how they are and eats them up, but Ivy flat out ignores them. I feel bad because I'd like to give her a treat every now and then, but I'm not really sure what else to try.

And yes nikki I know that :) I did a lot of research before I got my babbies. I never let them be near eachother, usually for play time I take one out for a bit, then the other. Or if I have a friend over, or my mom wants to play with my boy I have both out but FAR away from one another.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Myles is always niping at my mom because she always handles food before touching him :lol: She always wonders why and when I tell her she just tells me I'm wrong. (She's not very bright some times)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been doing all of those things, I don't give them as much play time as I usually do because I've got a really bad cough, and my mom just found out she has swine flu, and I either gave it to her, or will catch it. I wash up change shirts and just handle them enough to wake them up a little and maybe give Myles a mealworm.

Oh, and I've got a couple other questions:
What kind of fruits can they eat? and will/can they eat veggies?
How often should I give them a bath?
And Is it safe to wipe down their cages with clorox(sp?) wipes when I clean their cages?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to just keep time limited with them, and wash my hands and change shirts if I need to pick them up. I was just officially told I have H1N1 and it's too late to get me on meds so I have to wait like a week or so till I can be around people (I kinda feel like an outcast) :D Good thing my hedgies will always love me.

Also I've started to notice that Ivy has a little bit of dry skin, which might be because I used baby shampoo to wash her (I didn't realize until today that baby shampoo drys out their skin) I bought some aveeno oatmeal bath to wash them in insted. But I also read that flax seed oil on their food can help. Will they actually eat it? or ignore their food? Myles isn't really picky, but Ivy turns her nose up at most things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Alright, maybe I'll pick up some of the pills then and try some of the suggestions on here. Myles seems fine, his skin really isn't that dry so I'm not that worried about him. But I've noticed Ivy's skin is pretty bad. I still need to try the oatmeal bath, but I just gave her a bath a week or two ago, I don't want to over wash her (if that's possible)

Also is it normal if their skin is a bright red/pink? I notice it with Myles alot, but it's never that way long, just like a day or so. But it freaks me out, and throws me into a panic attack. But he acts fine, eats, drinks, runs on his wheel, poops, and everything they normaly do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, then after I get some flax seed oil, I'll put some on them both, and maybe give them both baths tomorrow. I thought he was itching but my mom told me that it would only be in area's not all of his skin. It kinda looks like how a person blushes, just ALL his skin is that color. What could cause his itching? I use carefreash bedding, could mites be in it? I thought that was just with woodshavings. I'll post how they are after they've had baths just as an update on their skin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm not sure if it's the bedding. I've switched it before thinking that was the problem, and it just happened again. After I use up the bedding I'll try liners. Ivy has no problem with the bedding, she actually loves it, she hated shavings, and I also tried just leaving strips of fleice down and she shoved it all into the corner and ignored it. Atleast with this bedding she lets it be all over and not in one spot that is never touched. Also I haven't noticed Myles skin that red color since the first month or so that I had him. They both had stages where they lost lots of quills but I read that it was probably quilling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.