Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most viruses are incommunicable between different species. Reading about influenza in particular, apparently only H7N7 has the characteristic of being communicable between humans and non-human animals. That said, they will communicate between species if the virus mutates. This is pretty rare. H1N1, for instance, is the cause of most flus, and comes in four flavors including human, avian, and swine influenza. The non-human variants rarely become an illness in humans. Only prolonged exposure to avian and swine flus that have not mutated will result in illness (because the virus has a chance to mutate).

So anyway, viruses will only transmit to pets on very rare occasions. It is the profoundly unfortunate owner whose pet catches a human virus. Even then, it will probably just be a cold. That doesn't mean you ought not to be cautious. You might as well. But your hedgies probably won't get sick.

I don't know as much about bacterial infections. I'd imagine they are more easily communicated, since they don't inherently rely on human cell biology and human DNA. Fungal infections, as we have read, are communicable. So if you have a virus, your pets are fine. Bacteria and fungi are another story, and I would quarantine the infected for the duration of the illness.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.