Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
3,815 Posts
If she is younger, her quills may be sharper than your males. Young adult and baby quills tend to be pretty sharp compared to older adults. With that said, there are older adults that just have wicked sharp quills. I had a 2.5 year old male that came to me who's quills were sharper than any other hedgehog I've encountered. Basically even as adults some their quills can vary in thickness and sharpness.

Some hedgehogs are just more defensive than others. If you have only had her a short time she could be taking longer to adjust to her new home and to bond with you. Spend lots of good quality time with her. I've had rescues take a year before they fully learned to trust me. And I've had adults who I had since they were 7 weeks that were just jumpy and defensive hedgehogs.

As far as illness. I tend to lean on the side of caution and minimize contact with my hedgehogs when I'm sick. I've never had one get anything from me, but I don't take many risks when it comes to their well being either.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.