Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey! New hedgehog mommy here!

We just brought home our new girl 3 days ago and we didn't get much information from the pet store! So I have a few questions!!

We have read in a lot of places that shavings and bedding is dangerous for a hedgehogs repertory systems so we lined the cage with fleece and we have been using paper towel for the litter box (which she has been using!!) but it isn't absorbent at all and the poor girl is using the box then dragging her poop around with her. Is there something safe that we can use for litter?

We also have purchased a silent spinner wheel which we will be returning due to the terrible reviews on here. Since the cage does not have bars besides on the top is there a safe wheel that we could purchase? (We aren't too worried about money, just keeping her safe)

She has also been climbing ontop of her igloo. Is this safe as she has taken a few tumbles and it has us a little worried, she seems fine she is just very curious and adventurous!

Any new owner advice would be appreciated as well!!

Thank you in advance!!

·
Banned
533 Posts
Get a carolina storm bucket wheel. The only one to use! Super safe.... I would take the igloo out if it were mine because I would be afraid of a broken leg or something, you can put her blanket in the cage or use a snuggle pouch! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a carolina storm bucket wheel. The only one to use! Super safe.... I would take the igloo out if it were mine because I would be afraid of a broken leg or something, you can put her blanket in the cage or use a snuggle pouch! Hope this helps.
Thank you for your quick reply! It takes up to three weeks to order the wheel so we will get right on that. At the time being I have read the comfort wheel isn't a bad choice. As she is currently running around in her cage I would like to get her a wheel as soon as possible.

And our snuggle pouch is in the mail now!

Thank you!

·
Registered
837 Posts
You could pick up a bucket wheel in while you are waiting.
If you take the igloo out just make sure she has somewhere to hide in her cage- even if it is just under a blanket or in one of your t-shirts. Its likely that she will stop climbing on it once she settles down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could pick up a bucket wheel in while you are waiting.
If you take the igloo out just make sure she has somewhere to hide in her cage- even if it is just under a blanket or in one of your t-shirts. Its likely that she will stop climbing on it once she settles down.
Thank you!
I made her a little blanket out of fleece but she doesn't seem interested. She stopped climbing the igloo it looks like so I will monitor until I go to bed!

·
Banned
533 Posts
The carolina storm bucket wheels ship out SUPER fast I got mine in a couple days and I live on the other side of the country Larry gets those out super fast. A comfort wheel will do for now but I wouldn't suggest it for long term use. Anything with the bars on the wheel can be dangerous also the little part that sticks out into the middle of the wheel can cause issues. I mean it would obviously take longer if you live in Canada or Europe. Or you could get the supplies yourself and make one which really isn't that hard and there are many videos online to do so.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use a Comfort Wheel until I finally just make the purchase of the CSBW. I really need to do that, actually. The Comfort Wheel is a safe option, although constantly running on the little bumps can cause sore feet. It hasn't for my girls yet. Also, it is extremely noisy. I've learned to sleep with it, but it rattles and is very, very loud. That is why I've decided on a bucket wheel. My parents, on a completely separate level of the house, can hear it.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Olive's cage is about 2 feet away from my bed so I can't imagine having a loud wheel. The wheel is completely silent the only thing you can hear is the little pitter patter sound of her feet running on the plastic which I personally think is the cutest sound so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The carolina storm bucket wheels ship out SUPER fast I got mine in a couple days and I live on the other side of the country Larry gets those out super fast. A comfort wheel will do for now but I wouldn't suggest it for long term use. Anything with the bars on the wheel can be dangerous also the little part that sticks out into the middle of the wheel can cause issues. I mean it would obviously take longer if you live in Canada or Europe. Or you could get the supplies yourself and make one which really isn't that hard and there are many videos online to do so.
Unfortunately we live in Canada so the shipment takes about 3 weeks. So I bought her the comfort wheel till it gets here! Thank you so much for your post!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a Comfort Wheel until I finally just make the purchase of the CSBW. I really need to do that, actually. The Comfort Wheel is a safe option, although constantly running on the little bumps can cause sore feet. It hasn't for my girls yet. Also, it is extremely noisy. I've learned to sleep with it, but it rattles and is very, very loud. That is why I've decided on a bucket wheel. My parents, on a completely separate level of the house, can hear it.
Awesome! It will take about 3 weeks for a CSBW to come in so this is a great option. The noise should be fine! Thanks :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Also, as for the litter for her litter box, how many layers of paper towels are you using? When my girl was a baby, I had to use three to four layers because she pooped and peed so much. But if that still doesn't help, you could try switching to a paper bedding (like Carefresh, or something similar) or pellet cat litter (like Yesterday's News). However, I would supervise your baby if it's the first time she's been around litter like that, because sometimes they try to eat it. Have fun with your new baby :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.