Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my female hedgehog (6 months old) which I acquired yesterday (saturday) only sleeps all day , she woke up at about 4:30am (sunday) and started to walk around I don't know if she ate at this time . I fell sleep when I woke up she was sleeping as usual .

I'm using 8 in 1 food for hedgies do you think she is actually eating while I sleep .

I put a little banana in her plate just to see.

This is her 20 GL tank

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
You can count the number of pieces of food in her dish when you change it and again the next day when you change it again, that way you will know how much she's eating. Was she eating 8 in 1 when you got her or is that new to her? You should try to keep her on whatever food she was eating before you got her and slowly switch her to high quality, low fat cat food in a few weeks.

Hedgehogs do sleep all day, that's normal for them. Mine only come out at night when its completely dark in their room. What is the temp in her cage?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Hedgehogs should be kept at a steady temperature, around 72-75 F. You should get a thermometer to monitor the temp. If the temp is to low they will be less active and be more likely to try to hibernate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nikki said:
Hedgehogs should be kept at a steady temperature, around 72-75 F. You should get a thermometer to monitor the temp. If the temp is to low they will be less active and be more likely ti try to hibernate.
temperature its around there , i really hope she is eating while I sleep .

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hey howdx,

Just so you know, hedgies really should have an exercise wheel- once your girl is settled in you should get her one. :) Sometimes hedgies can be fine without one, but they need lots of room to run around- minimum cage size is around 3 square feet, and if you didn't want a wheel, you'd need at least 9 square feet.

Also, aquariums can be hard to keep clean, warm, and deal with ventilation, especially with shavings (looks like pine? the phenols and dust can irritate a hedgie's eyes/nose/lungs).

Hope your girl starts eating regularly soon! Like Nikki said, count the kibble so you know how many she's eating, and get a thermometer so you can keep the temp stable. High, consistent temperatures are extremely important to hedgies. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
howdx said:
70ish +

I live in florida so its pretty hot in here.
Hi,
Your girl is very beautiful! Where did you get her? I'm in central Florida. Herisson is from Incredible Pets in Melbourne and Quillbert is from Sunshine Quills. :mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts