Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I just got my first hedgehog (Hercules) about 4 days ago. We picked him up from our local pet store. He was surprisingly tame there and would let us hold him without puffing up too much. Literally yesterday I would say was the first time that he tried to bite me and my roommate. I know it's stressful for a new hedgie getting used to the environment so I kept the handling to a minimum. But this is really starting to scare me, I don't mind him quilling up and huffing because I know how to pick him up and he would usually be fine after that. But now he attempts to bite me when I try and pick him up. And I know it's not something on my fingers, it's definitely an agressive bite that's saying leave me alone. And also for some reason just today he decided not to sleep in his usual place which is in his area where my shirt (specifically he burrows in the aspen underneath my shirt) is but instead just laid down in a hut we made out of cardboard that's kind of exposed and fell asleep there. I've done extensive searching on google, but I just wanted to get you're guy's opinions on this!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am not sure if this will work, but try picking him up with something that smells like you. So when he bites it he gets no response. It might get extinguished if it no longer works.

I cured my ones biting problem by speaking in a loud voice and saying NO. But my ones biting problem only occurred after he had been held for a bit, he has never liked to be held, and if he is in your hands to long, he will give a quick nip trying to get down (if jumping out is not an option). I also used it after I had had mine for a year, so he already knew me, and my guy is a bully, so I have to work hard to not let him get away with anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely try those things out. Similarly to your hedgehog mine seems to nip sometimes when he's trying to get down but the actual agressive "biting" seems to occur when I try and hold him. He's such a cute little fellow, I hope he grows out of it! I'de love to hear others opinion on this as well. Some things that I've already tried are blowing in his face, which someone else suggested. This seems to work only for the moment, but he resorts to try and bite soon after. I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong forum section, perhaps I can ask the same question in the behavior section as well!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
They can get pretty grouchy when they are quilling and just plain not want to be messed with. If you just got your hedgie and he is quilling that could be all that it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys! So I think you might be right in saying that he's quilling because I have found 2-3 recently by the pillow when I took him out. But other than that he doesn't really bite when he's in my hand, but usually only when I try and pick him up from the cage. He doesn't even try and quill up like I saw that most hedgehogs do, but he just straight resorts to try and bite. Could this be a territorial thing? He seems to only do this when I pick him up from his cage...but not when I put him down on say my lap, couch, or floor. Either way I'm still hoping he'll grow out of it! I have been giving him treats anytime I do pick him up though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts