Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new hedgehog mommy (I've had him for just over a week now). I recently adopted my hedgehog (1 year old named Wilbur) from a previous owner. In his old home, he had a small cage, no heating system, and ate a diet of low-end cat food. So far, I have transitioned him to a larger cage / playpen, I have a CHE / thermostat for heat, and have successfully transitioned him to a higher end cat food that i mix with hedgehog food. He is socializing well, doesn't hiss or click, and only huffs / quills occasionally. He is however occasionally doing some things that I'm not sure are normal:

- He wont eat any treats or wet food! So far, I've tried chicken breast, apple, banana, canned pumpkin, egg, and their favorite - mealworms! He sniffs at it and completely disregards. If left in the cage overnight, it sits untouched. Is this normal, given his previous diet was only cheap cat food? Any suggestions on other foods to try or how to trick him into eating it? I know they need variety to have a healthy diet.

- Sometimes, he runs around and is active at night (not when I'm watching, but I can hear him going a mile a minute in his wheel.) Other times, he will run for 40 min - an hour, take a nap for a couple hours, and repeat all night. Last night, he got back up again at 5 AM, and started running, but was quite slow for the first 20 minutes before going faster again. Is this normal? Some people report their hedgies running fast ALL NIGHT so I want to make sure there isnt something wrong. The pen I let him play in is quite large, theres a chance maybe the heater isnt reaching far enough and maybe he's getting cold. I'm also worried I may be waking him up too often during the day which is causing the naps. I often pick him up to sleep on me but try not to disturb him too much. I'm going to try switching him back to his smaller cage (where the heat reaches the whole space) to see if he runs more. If so, I'll buy another lamp to hear the other half of the cage (although it is already quite warm.)

I am taking him to a vet for a general checkup this weekend since his owner did not ever take him for one. So far there are no signs of mites / hibernation (belly is always warm) dry skin, etc. But I'm worried a vet may not be as familiar w peculiar hedgehog behavior as someone whos owned them. He is already so spoiled and I'm open to trying / buying anything else that might help him!! Any advice on these two things that you can provide would be very helpful!!!!!!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
He sounds like a normal hedgehog. I would keep trying to give him treats, sometimes it takes a while before they'll try something new. I would stop feeding hedgehog food, it's pretty much crap and a waste of money. The packaging it comes in is about a nutritious as the food.

Do you have a thermometer in the cage to make sure it's the same temperature all over? You don't want any cold spots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts