Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my cherry blossom has arrived!, she is 10 weeks old and when she got here I held her and put her back in her box (wasn鈥檛 one bit scared), I put her in her vivarium with her blanket and puppy pads, I bought her a very cute snuggle sack but she is more interested in her baby comforter I put in there. I gave her food and some worms (yuck). I have spoken to her since and she hides (doesn鈥檛 ball up tho) I understand she is probably a little scared. I鈥檓 wondering should I take the plunge and take her out tonight?, I was thinking I should scoop her up and put her in her snuggle sack for a little while, just to get used to me. To be honest her breeders have little kids and she doesn鈥檛 seem very shy.
the breeder said it would be best to start bonding with her straight away. I have a fleece blanket incase she gets abit mean about me getting her out.
To be honest I have never had a hedgehog so I am a little bit nervous (not scared, just unsure of what I鈥檓 doing is right) and I also have never heard these sounds before, the sniffing sound is very cute, I THINK she made a hissing sound at me when I dropped the comforter on her head (sorry). I know I have to scoop her up.
should I leave her until tomorrow night?
Bird Chicken Galliformes Beak Wood

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The latest pic I posted is her when I鈥檓 talking to her, she looks abit scared but not too frightened I don鈥檛 think

Registered
How is it going?

I just got a new baby yesterday, and because he had been showcased for a couple of hours AND brought to a new home on the same day, my thought was to let him be alone the first night. But the breeder told me it was important to start bonding straight away. So i let him sleep for a couple of hours and then i took him out and just handled him exactly like i did with my girl a had before him. He is a bit scared and very curious at the same time. But i think its importent to handle them like youve never done anything else - to let them now that your calm about it, and they can feel perfectly safe in your hands.

When i got my first hedgehog, i was really scared to stress her out or do something wrong, and i think that actually contributed to her behavior; scared and unsure about everything exept sleeping in her bag on me.

So with my new baby i decided that as long as he seems somewhat okay with it, i just handle him whereever, whenever and however i feel like. This morning i took him out again as i was cleaning the cage (think i only just gone to bed), and he sniffed around a bit, and hissed, and i pretended to not care really - i layed down on the couch and let him sniff around suddenly he splotted out on my stomach and went to sleep. The cutest thing ever.

So what i wanted to say here, is; chill, handle, cuddle, make a little noise and just let him know hes safe - i wish you the best og luck with your cute little hedgie.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! Aww glad you鈥檙e abit braver than me lol!, I opened tank and she hid under her blanket so I took it off her, she didn鈥檛 roll into a complete ball but she was hissy and spikey, abit jumpy (I expected this) I used a blanket to get her out as I felt if I felt more confident she would too. Got her out and she had a sniff around the blanket, eventually stopped hiding her face when I spoke to her, sniffed me and I THINK she may have fallen asleep as she laid still for a long time (her spines weren鈥檛 up, only ones on her head abit but not covering her face). I know she is nice as I held her when she got here. The hissing is abit scary at first I won鈥檛 lie!. Today I will get her out with the blanket but put her back in with my hands and we will go from there, she did not want a worm lol.
she is adorable and I know she will like me eventually, I bought her a lovely pouch and blanket she has decided she would much rather sleep under the puppy pads haha!. I didn鈥檛 try to stroke her or anything figured to let her be comfy.
I know she鈥檚 used to being handled because I held her when she got here with her breeder and she was fine walking around,we will get there!

Registered
Haha my girl ALWAYS wanted to sleep under the cage liner, even though she had 5 different houses, fabricbags and tunnels - once i even cought her sleeping in her litterbox.

Im sure shell get there, and you too. It takes some time to get used to the spikes, but once you do, youll see that its not that bad, even when they curl up.

I used to just have her in her sleeping bag on me whenever i was watching tv og knitting - and then she would either go to sleep in there, or on me - she was never much of an explorer.

A good tip is when you find out what she likes for a snack, is to give it to her immediately after taking her out of the cage. That way she will learn that this happens every time, and be more at ease to get out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi! Thanks for the advice, I鈥檝e offered her some worms and she doesn鈥檛 want them at the min, I felt her spikes through the blanket and it really wasn鈥檛 that bad, nettles are worse! The plan is to sit downstairs with her tonight for a bit.
she鈥檚 quite outgoing in her tank, I understand why she woudknt like some strange human grabbing her from her warm home 馃槀,
She does poke her head out and have a look and a sniff, has her head spikes up but not her body. I think now I鈥檝e felt them I know how bad it鈥檚 gonna be

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tonight I held her for abit then I put her in a box and have her worms, she munched them all
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Textile Felidae

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had a breakthrough! I picked her up without the blanket and she was a different hog, acted like she wasn鈥檛 just hissing at me a few seconds before. Clearly she prefers skin to blanket haha! (I think the worms may have helped)
Fawn Whiskers Terrestrial animal Snout Close-up

Registered
Aaaaw so nice!!

The bonding moments are so indescribeble!
Yesterday my little boy (8,5 weeks) fell asleep on my stomach again after exploring, and after a few minuts I began to rub him on the side of his spines with my thumb, and he rolled over on the side and let me rub his belly while he seemed like he was sleeping. This was soooo cute.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awww that sounds adorable! I wish you the best of luck, my dogs are VERY interested (they like small fury things, my male dog used to lay in my guinea pig cage and let them jump on him). She is scared of them at the min.
I鈥檓 waiting for her play pen to come, she can come down one night without them, then the next with elvis and the next with elvis and cookie, I鈥檓 sure she will come round when she realises they鈥檙e not a threat and the worst they will ever do is sniff her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts