Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we made a new house for our new hedgehog Norber, but I think the paint smell might be making him sick. Because he is acting a little extra sleepy and grumpy. Could the paint smell be making him sick?

·
Registered
155 Posts
To be honest, paint smells make even me, a human, sick, so it's very possible. You might want to wait until the smell somewhat fades to put him into the house, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question if your hedgie has bloody feet how long does it take for them to heal he got bumble foot like pretty recently we noticed last night, but how long does it normally take to heal? Please answer quick and is he hurt really bad. Will it not heal? I am really worried can you please answer my questions as soon as possible

·
Registered
155 Posts
First of all, do you know what caused it? If so, make sure you remove the cause.
If his feet are really bad, you'll want to remove his wheel and possibly schedule a vet visit.
Some hedgehogs just run their feet raw on their wheel. I'm not sure how quickly this heals up, but it should heal up naturally. I've never had this happen with my hedgehog, though, so I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We found out what caused it. The thing that caused it was a tunnel attached to his new cage, it hurt him pretty bad because he kept slipping down it. He is doing better now. But we also figured out it was not the paint smell making him sleepy and grumpy, it was him trying to go into hibernation. Because it was to dark of a cage but we have got everything all sorted out. Thank you for your help 😀

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm glad you figured out what was wrong! Hope Norbert is doing better now. :)
My hedgehog's name is Prickles! Perhaps an uncreative name, but it fits him well. He's a grumpy little guy. I haven't had any medical problems with him, but he certainly does worry me at times!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He almost went into hibernation fully today and scared me to death! So I went to take him out and he was tightly balled up in a hibernation kind of way I got him out of it but he did the same thing again! am I doing something wrong his cage is light with a heat pad.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Heat pads really aren't the best source of heat for a hedgehog, which could be part of the problem. I would recommend using a CHE bulb with a thermostat to make sure his cage his always fully heated. I've been using the same CHE bulb for almost two years and haven't had any problems nor had to replace anything, which has been really great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I have already bought one on Amazon but It won’t come till Saturda, so intil then I have the heat pad on and a space Heater up to 75 and he seems better now running on his wheel right now (his poor hurt feet) even though he is hurt he does not want to stop wheeling maybe I should take the wheel out tonight

·
Registered
155 Posts
If the wounds aren't healing, then taking the wheel out is probably the best thing to do. He probably won't like it, but in the long run it should be better for him unless he's showing a lot of stress.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, also I went to Walmart and got him a heat admitting lamp, and some flaxseed oil gel tablets which someone on here said if they have dry skin you can crack it open and put it in their foot bath to help with their skin. since it is winter I will try this because he might have some dry skin. Thank you for always answering me and helping with my hedgie 😊

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, also I went to Walmart and got him a heat admitting lamp, and some flaxseed oil gel tablets which someone on here said if they have dry skin you can crack it open and put it in their foot bath to help with their skin. since it is winter I will try this because he might have some dry skin. Thank you for always answering me and helping with my hedgie 😊

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use flaxseed oil for my hedgehog as well, though I put it on his food. It seems to help! And you are so welcome! No problems here, thankfully. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is this ok for him? The one I got has 15 calorie, 1.5 grams of fat, 1g of polyunsaturated fat, gelatin, glycerin, and Caramel color?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts