Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people may have remembered that I said that I have a 9X9 cage, but, I'm getting a new one! It is going to be a hedgehog mansion... And by mansion, I mean two plastic storage bins connected with a PVC pipe. :lol: I just have a few questions.

My hedgehog is a boy, and the PVC pipe has a little edge to it on the inside, and I think it may feel uncomfortable moving back and forth through it, if you know what I mean. Also, my dad is going out of town with my brother to Greenville, KY and he is picking up another plastic bin to connect them with. But, he is also picking up a rubber bath mat for the flooring instead of the liner, because it is easier to clean than a liner, because all you only have to spray it off and your done. Will that rubber bathmat bother him too? I really want what is best for him.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm so glad you are getting a new cage!
I wouldn't put a mouse in a cage that small. That's about as big as your hedgie's sleeping place alone should be. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Most hedgie bags are larger than 9" x 9". Heck, my litter pans are larger than that and my hedgie hats take up more floor space than that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jeeps i can't believe you kept your hedgie in a 9" x 9" cage, im shocked. I bet he could hardly move. poor thing.

Well at least you're getting a new one. He should be a lot happier in this one :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I was waiting for my liners to come in I used a yoga matt cut to size, which is similar to a bath matt I guess. I wouldn't really suggest them because they don't come as clean as fabric does (you would have to scrub and scrub to get some of those squished poops out, and then you would just be ruining it) and they aren't absorbent. So, when your hedgie pees there really is no where for it to go. My guy used a litter pan, so it wasn't a mess at all, but not every hedgie does. I only used it for a week or so, and then I threw it out. It also ended up smelling more than liners, because you can't ever get the scent out as well as a washing machine can with fabric.

Most people are against litter and prefer liners, but given the choice between a matt and litter, I think litter would be ideal.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the advice, knitfreak, but he will do just fine. And thank you LizardGirl for giving me that tip, and I took it and It's great. I finally figured out how to upload photos from my Nintendo DSi onto th computer, like you can with a digital camera! :D Here are some pics of his cage! Here are the links to the pictures (I couldn't put them on here for some reason)

Quilliam's Bedding:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo ... 003&ref=nf

Quilliam's Wheel and Nummys:

Quilliam:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Pictures worked for me, but I have a facebook page and was already logged in to my account.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would be very careful about letting people have access to your facebook account, especially with how young you are. You could move your photos to a free site like photobucket or flickr. That way people wouldn't need an account to see them, and your identity would be protected.

The new cage looks good. I would add some fleece for him to sleep and hide in.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Okay, I was able to see them. Looks good!

I am terribly curious, would you be able to post a picture of the cage he was in before? Preferably with him inside it for size comparison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts