Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tired of Ace pooping on the PVC pipe of the bucket wheel so I decided to reverse the direction the PVC pipe went. My bucket wheel design was from this site. http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/128/42/

All I did was get more PVC 1/2 inch pipe and 4 more 1/2 inch T's. I removed the elbows and replaced them with the T's. With the extra PVC pipe I cut 4 pieces to fit in my cage and used the original elbows at the end of the pipe. Because it was rocky and want the wheel quiet I used some removable zip ties.

I use paper towels under his wheel, Ace likes to drag them so I am going to try out to binder clip the paper towels to the fleece. We will see what he does tonight. I may have to make a litter pan and use yesterdays news.

PVC pipe without wheel on

Top view on the cage

Another view

Trying it out but it was during the day so Ace decided he wanted to sleep more

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, that's wicked! :cool:

It's brilliant, in fact. I wonder why no one ever thought of suspending the wheel before. So for cleaning, you just untie the zip ties to release the wheel and re-tie them when you're ready to put back the wheel in place? (when you say "removable" zip ties, it means "reusable", right?) I guess neither the height of the wheel or the slope of the running surface (to let urine run out) is adjustable. But I think it's still a pretty cool idea.

Please keep us posted as to how your hedgie likes the wheel! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night went well! The binder clips held the paper towel down. Ace can run very fast so the wheel did rock the table a bit . I just need to get a more stable table.

For cleaning I just unscrew the wheel off from the PVC pipe frame. I used a carriage bolt and nut. You do not have to remove the PVC pipe frame. I used the removable/reusable zip ties becuase I travel with him often and need to close the lid on the container so it is more stable for all of his supplies. You can just use any type of zip ties, I just used them becuase we already had some and they were the right length.

Just do not use the PVC glue so you can adjust the angle so the pee can drain out. I have 3 holes in pipe to adjust the wheel height.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thats sweeeet :eek: :idea: !!!! glad it went well, u could(and should) sell that :) huh? if u want, its just an original idea, but altered and improved!!!!!! again, :idea: genious!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It looks like a great idea with one question. If you don't glue the joints, won't they work loose and fall apart? I have many conventional frames that the joints no longer hold tight and the wheel sags.

·
Registered
508 Posts
thats a very cool looking wheel set up! and VERY VERY ADORABLE HEDGIE!!! :D
i may have to "visit" you and "Ace" one of these day :lol: hehehe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nancy said:
It looks like a great idea with one question. If you don't glue the joints, won't they work loose and fall apart? I have many conventional frames that the joints no longer hold tight and the wheel sags.
I used a rubber mallet to put the PVC pipe into the T's and elbows. I had a hard time getting them off to modify it. You could replace the pipes if you think it is too loose. Luckily my wheel is a very thick and is 100 mils. The instructions at Hedgehog World has the bucket at least .08 mils. Cutting the wheel was a hard task and wished it was thinner plastic after cutting my hand but I am glad it was that thick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts