Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New Hedgehog owner here. When do I clean my hedgehog's paw (and how) if she keeps hiding and running away.

I got this baby hedgehog and she's around 10 weeks old. Whenever I walk close to the cage, she panics and runs and hides. I only had her for 5 days so far so it hasn't been too long.

It feels like she's somewhat okay with the home. I know she's exercising since I can see poop everywhere and hear the wheel being used. I also know she's eating since I also hear the loud crunching of kibbles.

Just some tips or hints would be great

· Registered
I have one female hedgehog named Remi
204 Posts
You should start holding her for at least thirty minutes a day to get used to it. To clean her paw you can give her a foot bath. Put about 1 inch of warm water into the bathtub of your choice, I use the sink, and if you want to use soap you can use baby soap and some other types.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She tries to hide immediately when I'm there. Do I take her out of her hiding place?

To give an example. When I walk close, she freezes and pretends to be a rock. when I reach into the cage (not even at her), she runs and dashes away to her hiding place.

Wondering if this behaviour is normal and how I should I pick her up.

· Administrator
3,917 Posts
Yes. Take her out. Her behavior is normal hedgehog behavior. Just uncover her from her hidey spot, and scoop her up in your hands. She may curl up initially, she my squirm and try to get away or just sit there with that look of "What do you want?". All are normal reactions as these little ones have very different personalities.

Example of that...I have two brothers currently. Both can be running at full tilt on their wheel, and when I walk in the room... one will freeze, sliding slightly on his wheel and will lay down, and stay as still as possible until I go away. The other will hop off, run around his cage, check his food bowl, then into his hiding tube until I go away... Or I just pick them up and tell them they are silly.

· Registered
80 Posts
Bribery. Start bribing your hedgehog lol.

Whenever you're about to enter her cage to feed her or pick her up, give her a treat (like a worm, live insect, dried insect, or bug block) so that she'll start associating you with something positive. My hedgehog used to ball up or run away when I opened her cage when I first got her... Now she comes straight up to me or continues doing her lil hedgie activities when I go to her cage because sees that I'm not a threat and will give her a treat. Sounds simple but it works lol.

If you want to clean only her feet, you can wet a paper towel or wash cloth with warm water and either wipe her feet or let her stand on paper towel/washcloth to loosen the poop up, then wipe her feet.

Hope this helps 😀

1 - 5 of 5 Posts