Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preperation for the arrival of our new baby girl hedgehog, Piper, I wanted to introduce myself to the group and ask a few questions.
We have already set up her cage with fleece liner this time, and are cutting some smaller fleece strips for her to curl up in, in her igloo.
She also has a little sleep sack, because I am not sure which one she will choose to like more.
We put her wheel away from her house, because I have heard that's where they use the bathroom the most. Would you recommend putting some aspen just around the wheel, or just some paper towels maybe?
Also I bought some baby laundry detergent to wash the blankets in, does that sound right?
I just don't want to do anything wrong and have anything bad happen to her.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot to ask if anyone has had any experience with hedgies in those exercise balls? One website told me to put it in her cage and allow her to get used to it before trying to put her in it. I just don't want to overwhelm her. Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've heard that exercise balls are NOT safe for hedgehogs. Their little toes/nails can get caught in the openings. Plus, hedgehogs use the bathroom when the run. I can imagine the ball would get super gross super fast as they ran around.

It is much better to have a play pen/kid pool/hedgehog proofed area for your hedgie to run around in!

I also use paper towel under my wheel. It's easy to clean up and not very expensive. I have a small storage container lid under the wheel and then the paper towel on top of that.

Your cage looks cute though! Do you have a light source/heat?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any heat source yet. We bought a temperature reader, and we make sure it stays around 75 degrees. Do you think we still need a heat lamp, or maybe a heating pad would work better? Do you think she needs a light shining on her cage directly, or will the overhead light in the room work?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Heat lamps are recommended over heating pads. 75 should be okay though! Just see how your hedgehog likes it. Some enjoy it warmer than others.

Hedgehogs just need a controlled light source for 12 hours or so a day. I have a light clipped to Penny's cage on a timer. That way, I don't have to think about turning it on or off. Something to think about!

Have you read the go-to book of hedgehog info yet? It sounds like you have done a pretty good job so far, but here is the link! http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files/hedgehogbook/download.html

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Also depending on your house you may need a hear lamp in winter. My house remains warm in the summer even with our swamp cooler. In the winter it gets much cooler. I have heat lamps just in case right now. They go on and off during the day while we have the swamp cooler running but rarely turn on at night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have heard the pet balls are a really bad idea due to sanitation. I am also new so I am not sure about the laundry soap. The lady I bought my hedgie from said she uses regular soap. Should I change? I am getting ready to switch over to fleece after I run out of bedding. I made my hedgie a bonding bag and she loves that. She curls and sleeps in my lap while we watch TV. Good luck with your new baby!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts