Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment our new mom and her unexpected litter are making use of her old igloo as a nesting box. It has about 2" cut off the back so it would fit better up agaist the inside of the sterilite bin (her old home) that we had kept her in. Now that she has the babies I want to replace it with somthing bigger and possibly more transparent with easy lid access that I can switch it for at around the 2 week mark. Just looking for ideas. I also have a large pile of 1" cut fleece squares to rplace the huge pieces she has stuffed in the igloo atm.

Also, should I leave the old igloo in with the new box so she has somewhere to go to get a break from the babies? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Re: Nesting box ideas pls

I am in my exhausted stage of the last chemo treatment so don't have the energy to spend much time replying other than to say, leave the nest box and cage alone. These babies have a long way to go yet and messing with a nest box is a huge no no.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Nesting box ideas pls

I'm not going to do it now, was talking about after they are at the point where mom let's them be handled and I do a full cage cleaning. What she is using now is goin to get small real fast as they grow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, after a bit of thinking I came up with a decent idea for making a nest box out of a water jug that turned out pretty good. It was kind of a pain to cut, was using a razor knife at first but ended up using tin snips for most of it.
I think you might have misunderstood me Nancy, I was gonna introduce this one after they were well adjusted to us and mom was ok with us handling them. The igloo that's in there is pretty small and will cause us to lift it every time we get the babies out and pretty much destroy the nest in the process, plus there are all those huge pieces of fleece. That's why I wanted to have something with a lid so we wouldn't disturb it as much. Anyways here's what i came up with...

Bit more transparent for easier monitoring from farther away, probably throw some fleece on top to shield some light

Lid flips up for easy access to babies when its holding time so we dont have to disturb whole nest. Also very small fleece pieces instead of the huge ones that are a mess in the igloo atm.

Not to bad eh? All of the edges are sanded down to prevent injury ;).

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Except for it being transparent, the design is decent as a nest box to give a mom to get used to before she has her babies. Once babies are here, you can't go switching the nest box unless you want to risk those babies. Regardless of how much of a nuisance her current nest box is, changing it at any time puts those babies at risk. In another couple of weeks you might get away with adding that nest box to the cage and see if mom moves the family over.

While a transparent nest box is easier for us, moms like it dark and mom is the one with all the control here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, we won't then. What about the huge pieces of dirty fleece tho, what should we replace that with when we take it out? There is no back to the current igloo as well and I've already caught a couple out wandering, is there nothing we can do about it?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
You can't take the fleece out now, not till the babies are ready to wean, or change anything in the cage till then, if the babies wander out just put them back quickly and quietly. You can't do a whole cage cleaning either till the babies are about ready to wean...I don't change anything or clean, except to maybe take a handful of shavings out every day or two and put a clean handful in, until my babies are weaned, its not worth the chance. I know you have fleece instead of shavings so you'll just have to leave it there no matter how dirty it gets.

I had a mother with 5 babies in an igloo, it was crowded but they didn't seem to mind in the least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts