Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sherlock has been acting a little funny. He had some dry skin, and it was flaking off of him, but I hadn't noticed any scratching with him before. So, I decided to give him a little olive oil bath to make the flaking stop. His skin looks a lot better, but he started to lose quills. Before, he never lost them, but now, he's losing 10+ a day. (For about 2 days now). He also started scratching. I checked to see if he had mites by using a black cloth, but I couldn't see anything moving, and it was pretty clean of anything coming off of him onto the cloth. He's on fabric, but I believe his previous owner had him on shavings. Please help me stop worrying! I'm really afraid of him having mites.

Also, can mites bother humans too? Like, make us itch? Or does it really only affect the hedgehogs? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am taking my hedgie to the vet today to get her checked for mites because I have been having a similar problem for a while.

Does Sherlock have any patches on him where so many quills are missing that you can completely see his skin? How much is he scratching?

Unfortunately, the black cloth is not always 100% accurate. If there are patches of extremely dry skin and excessive quill loss, I would take him into the vet to get checked for mites. If not mites then what he is experiencing now, depending on the depth of irritation, could turn into a skin infection.

BUT it is totally normal for hedgies to get dry skin, especially in the winter! So, it could also be just dry skin and the olive oil should continue to fix it right up.

Good luck and I hope that Sherlock starts feeling better!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn't have any patches, and I just started to notice the scratching last night. He didn't scratch at all when I was holding him, only when I put him down in the cage. Should I wait to take him in and continue to catalog his symptoms? Or should I bring him into the vet? I live in MN, and we are in a blizzard right now, and it's been -20. I don't want to risk him becoming too cold and then find out I was worrying for nothing.

Thanks for you responce btw!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! Thanks! You really made me feel better. I've noticed he hasn't been scratching lately. And his skin looks really good. It's the normal color, and there isn't any bleeding or teared spots on him, like he's been over scratching. His ears aren't tattered, and he's been running on his wheel constantly. I just hope he continues to do well. Thank you so much for your replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts