Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I got my hedchog around a week and a half ago and he was clearly neglected and usocialized! I have him in a pretty big cage with everything that he needs including: a tunnel, wheel, little house and more! I get him out everyday around 9-10 pm! Everytime i try and get him out of his cage he starts breathing very heavily and huffing! I mange to get him out anyways with a blanket that i’ve noticed he likes! When he is out of his cage it takes him a while to calm down and open up! He absolutley does not like being touched or handled for that matter! What i like to do is putting him in a blanket or a towel and let him on my lap while i’m doing other stuff! He does seem to fall asleep but balls up at any sound or slight movement, is that normal? While diet wise i do feed him cat food as he seems to love it! I did try to include some vegetables like a carrot! He does not like it and only prefers simple cat food. Does anybody know how i can maybe get him used to eating some vegtables or something with more vitamins than only cat food? Another thing that someone can help me with is to tell me if it’s a good sign that he manages to fall asleep at me and maybe how can i get him used to me handling him?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seems like you are doing everything right! Good job! Yes, they are very easily startled creatures so this is perfectly normal for him to be a bit agitated at sudden movements or noises. My hedgehog is the same, she will only eat her cat food and occasionally something else. I do not give supplements to my hedgehog because when I started doing that I had some (possibly unrelated) health issues arise at the same time. She is healthy and happy. It is great that he is falling asleep on you, this shows that he trusts you. Good luck! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts