Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my almost four year old hedgehog Oliver to the vet. The vet said he is completely healthy beside the fact that he’s obese. I completely trust our vet she’s the best in state I could find, She’s given so much advice and ideas to improve his life. But Oliver is eating Fromm Mature gold cat food but the vet recommended Mazuri Hedgehog food and to cut back on the worms (which Ollie does not agree on). So do I keep him on the same diet or do i switch his food or keep it?

(he overweight because he recently got sick which caused him to lose weight once he had surgery he gained a bunch of weight) he also has a variety of other things in his diet that the vet said to keep because me and the vet agreed they are healthy for him

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,122 Posts
Assuming I found the right cat biscuit:
The ingredients for the cat food are far better than for the hedgehog food, the hedgehog food has way more plant based ingredients, which isnt good, and is higher carbs.

There isnt much difference in the protein, and the fat content is the exact same so that wont actually change anything.

I cant compare calories as I can only find it for the cat food but a guess it will be the same, I can't see the hedgehog food being lower in calories.

It would be really pointless to swap from the cat biscuit to the hedgehog one.

Cat food:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, White Rice, Salmon Meal, Dried Tomato Pomace, Potatoes, Oatmeal, Duck, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat, Millet, Cheese, Miscanthus Grass, Salmon Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flaxseed, Oat Hulls, Chicken Liver, Alfalfa Meal, DL-Methionine, Vitamins, Chicken Cartilage, Chicory Root Extract, Salt, Monosodium Phosphate, Minerals, L-Carnitine, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Taurine, Probiotics.
protein 31% fat 11%

Hedgehog food
Chicken Meal, Ground Soybean Hulls, Ground Wheat, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Rice Flour, Poultry Fat Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Ground Whole Aspen, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Apple Pomace, Wheat Germ, Dried Whey, Fish Meal, Natural Poultry Flavor, Lecithin, Soybean Oil, Fish Oil, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), Salt, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Lactose, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Manganous Oxide, d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Biotin, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Citric Acid (a Preservative), Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Pantothenate, Nicotinic Acid, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate.
Protein 28% Fat 11%

I think what you need to do is maybe look at how much you feeding and how active he is, are you feeding him more than he is burning off?
This is easy weight out how much u give him, then weigh out what is left - If anything is left. If you have a camera or odometer you can easily see his activity level this will help you with gauging how much food he really needs.

Inactive to very low active (under 2 hours) hogs need 6-8g biscuits around 10-14 insects, 5-6g fresh stuff a few times a week.

Medium activity (2-3hours) 9-12g biscuits, around 15-17 insects, 7-8g fresh stuff a few times a week.

And up from there
This isnt science correct just research I found.

But I've been here before on the very low activity hog and it worked great with her. She lost the weight brilliantly.
I also made a mix to make the carbs low with like 13% fat and she still lost it great!

Hope all that makes sense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently took my almost four year old hedgehog Oliver to the vet. The vet said he is completely healthy beside the fact that he’s obese. I completely trust our vet she’s the best in state I could find, She’s given so much advice and ideas to improve his life. But Oliver is eating Fromm Mature gold cat food but the vet recommended Mazuri Hedgehog food and to cut back on the worms (which Ollie does not agree on). So do I keep him on the same diet or do i switch his food or keep it?

(he overweight because he recently got sick which caused him to lose weight once he had surgery he gained a bunch of weight) he also has a variety of other things in his diet that the vet said to keep because me and the vet agreed they are healthy for him
How much does Oliver weigh? I think your doing everything right:) the proof is Oliver is 4😊 Wow that’s so wonderful. What did he have surgery for?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I forgot to mention with hogs its not the weight its how they look.
Can he easily fully ball up? Is he pear shaped? Does it look like there is actually excess fat around the limbs/chin. If there is non of this then he is actually perfectly fine!

Feel free to add pictures if you want help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming I found the right cat biscuit:
The ingredients for the cat food are far better than for the hedgehog food, the hedgehog food has way more plant based ingredients, which isnt good, and is higher carbs.

There isnt much difference in the protein, and the fat content is the exact same so that wont actually change anything.

I cant compare calories as I can only find it for the cat food but a guess it will be the same, I can't see the hedgehog food being lower in calories.

It would be really pointless to swap from the cat biscuit to the hedgehog one.

Cat food:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, White Rice, Salmon Meal, Dried Tomato Pomace, Potatoes, Oatmeal, Duck, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat, Millet, Cheese, Miscanthus Grass, Salmon Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flaxseed, Oat Hulls, Chicken Liver, Alfalfa Meal, DL-Methionine, Vitamins, Chicken Cartilage, Chicory Root Extract, Salt, Monosodium Phosphate, Minerals, L-Carnitine, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Taurine, Probiotics.
protein 31% fat 11%

Hedgehog food
Chicken Meal, Ground Soybean Hulls, Ground Wheat, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Rice Flour, Poultry Fat Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Ground Whole Aspen, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Apple Pomace, Wheat Germ, Dried Whey, Fish Meal, Natural Poultry Flavor, Lecithin, Soybean Oil, Fish Oil, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), Salt, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Lactose, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Manganous Oxide, d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Biotin, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Citric Acid (a Preservative), Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Pantothenate, Nicotinic Acid, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate.
Protein 28% Fat 11%

I think what you need to do is maybe look at how much you feeding and how active he is, are you feeding him more than he is burning off?
This is easy weight out how much u give him, then weigh out what is left - If anything is left. If you have a camera or odometer you can easily see his activity level this will help you with gauging how much food he really needs.

Inactive to very low active (under 2 hours) hogs need 6-8g biscuits around 10-14 insects, 5-6g fresh stuff a few times a week.

Medium activity (2-3hours) 9-12g biscuits, around 15-17 insects, 7-8g fresh stuff a few times a week.

And up from there
This isnt science correct just research I found.

But I've been here before on the very low activity hog and it worked great with her. She lost the weight brilliantly.
I also made a mix to make the carbs low with like 13% fat and she still lost it great!

Hope all that makes sense.
Thank you, it does make sense. Oliver does tend to be active it just depends on how much sleep or how much he ran the night before. Probably around 2-5 hours on an active, which is most nights. I do measure his food and give him insects but he will always leave kibble in the bowl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much does Oliver weigh? I think your doing everything right:) the proof is Oliver is 4😊 Wow that’s so wonderful. What did he have surgery for?
Oliver weighs around 645 grams but he has lost a couple. He had surgery because he had a growth in his mouth. It was very uncomfortable for him and he would only get water at night. I ended up having to syringe feed him but once it was removed he went back to eating but wasn’t very active so he became over weight. The growth biopsy ended up being unhealed injury’s to his mouth. He was monitored closely and we took out what he injured himself on and he’s been great since with no regrowth.☺

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention with hogs its not the weight its how they look.
Can he easily fully ball up? Is he pear shaped? Does it look like there is actually excess fat around the limbs/chin. If there is non of this then he is actually perfectly fine!

Feel free to add pictures if you want help.
I’m not sure if he can fully ball up because he is very friendly and will come up and meet you at the cage entrance and doesn’t get scared easily. He does have extra fat around his limbs. I included pictures. I’m sorry they are not the best.

Note: the pictures were taken right when he woke up after he was being cuddled so he is confused and sitting really low. When he stands or sits up you can see his feet he just has them tucked. Thew we’re also the best i could get without him running away

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Thank you, it does make sense. Oliver does tend to be active it just depends on how much sleep or how much he ran the night before. Probably around 2-5 hours on an active, which is most nights. I do measure his food and give him insects but he will always leave kibble in the bowl.
If he is active 2-5 hours maybe do 12-15g of the 11% fat cat biscuit, you can always up it if you need to.
Decrease the amount each week by 2g. You can stop at a different amount if you think he does good on one of those amounts.

He sounds fairly active to be fair so it might be a bit of guessing, the best way to help him.

Holly was 700g, she could only just not ball up there was a very tiny gap, she is 576g now.

So Holly rarely balled up but would like half ball, so in the first photo while semi balled you can really see the fat around the top legs and the neck.

In the second photo she is asleep in her normal position, if you look at the top of that front leg, you can see the extra fat, where it dips out in a round way, you can also sorta see it on the neck.

Compared to in the third picture Where you cant see that while she is in a similar position.

In this fourth photo you can really see that extra fat around the limbs of the legs and neck.

Now see in the fifth photo where its not really there is pretty much no more extra fat just a tiny amount on the top of the legs.

In this sixth picture you can see what shape she is, when she was overweight she was always still pear shaped!

So when you look at yours he does look a little round from above but he is still the right shape which is good it means he isnt that bad!

Use these to help you see as I know getting photos can be hard and sometimes its just a lot easier to look so hopefully these will help you enough to determine the extra fat.
Its so much easier when you know what you are looking for!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he is active 2-5 hours maybe do 12-15g of the 11% fat cat biscuit, you can always up it if you need to.
Decrease the amount each week by 2g. You can stop at a different amount if you think he does good on one of those amounts.

He sounds fairly active to be fair so it might be a bit of guessing, the best way to help him.

Holly was 700g, she could only just not ball up there was a very tiny gap, she is 576g now.

So Holly rarely balled up but would like half ball, so in the first photo while semi balled you can really see the fat around the top legs and the neck.
View attachment 95234

In the second photo she is asleep in her normal position, if you look at the top of that front leg, you can see the extra fat, where it dips out in a round way, you can also sorta see it on the neck.
View attachment 95235

Compared to in the third picture Where you cant see that while she is in a similar position.
View attachment 95238

In this fourth photo you can really see that extra fat around the limbs of the legs and neck.
View attachment 95242

Now see in the fifth photo where its not really there is pretty much no more extra fat just a tiny amount on the top of the legs.
View attachment 95240

In this sixth picture you can see what shape she is, when she was overweight she was always still pear shaped!
View attachment 95241

So when you look at yours he does look a little round from above but he is still the right shape which is good it means he isnt that bad!

Use these to help you see as I know getting photos can be hard and sometimes its just a lot easier to look so hopefully these will help you enough to determine the extra fat.
Its so much easier when you know what you are looking for!
Thank you, this was very helpful! We will definitely start working on cutting back his food a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts