Hedgehog Central banner


3377 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  PixiesExoticHedgies
I took cloud to the vet the other day. The diagnosis isn't good.

Cloud's white blood cell count is way above what it should be where as his red blood cell count is very low. he pees and dirnks way too much for normal, so the doctor is suspecting that it is kidney disease. Cloud also has very bad rotted teeth with very little gums. The main reason i took him in was because of the large glof ball sized lump on his right hind hip. It is getting worse and has now extended down to his leg and foot. The doctor suspects it is either a very very bad infection or cancer. He has given me strong anitbiotics and pain meds to administer to cloud for the next two weeks. thet vet is wanting to do a biopsy.

Now here is my problem. I am at my financial limit. In the last 6 months i have spend over $1100 on this little guy with this last vet visit costing me $635. I now have no rent for next months, not that i'm complaining, just that i am at my wits end. I cannot afford to the biospy and i just feel like a horrible person. i strongly believe that you should not buy a pet if you cannot take it to the vet. i feel like i have failed Cloud because it is not his fault, what i need to know is whether or not to put him down now before it gets too bad or keep him on the meds until i feel it is right for him to go. there is no other option.
i realize i'm going to get crisized for my decsion but realize that whatever you choose to say to me i've already said to myself in a much meaner way.

thanks for the advice.
1 - 1 of 14 Posts
The hardest thing to ever do is let go. You have done all that you can, and you have to look at whether or not it would be better to just let him go.

Another story.....
Back when we first came to Can, we got a dog when I was 5. She was the greatest family dog ever, and an overprotective mother to us all. When she was 10, she'd been battling cancer. She's had multiple surgeries to remove the lumps, but they just keep coming back. WE(the humans) were unable to let go and did all that we could, and had the vets remove the lumps as we found them. She still continuously grew weaker, and in the end, she couldn't keep going. She passed away at night, on the floor, while my sister slept on the couch to watch her.

Looking back at it, we wonder if it would've been better NOT to have put her through all the surgeries. So have just made her life as comfortable and happy as possible, and take her to the vets when it's time. If they are still younger and healthy, then yes, do all you can. But there has to be a point where you just have to stop, make them comfortable, and just wait it out till it's time to take that last trip to the vets.

Now, to our cat, we've had her when my dog was about a year old. She was 14 when she too developed cancer lumps. This time, we drew the line and said she was too old to have surgery to remove the lumps. We made her as comfortable as we could, whatever food she wanted, she had her bowl of tuna almost every night. Table scraps? they were hers if she wanted them. And near the end, bought her lots of KMR for her as well. When it was time, we took her to the vets.

No matter what choice you make, it will be from your heart. It's always a tough decision. Just know that we're all here for you as well. *hugs*
See less See more
1 - 1 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.