Hedgehog Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone tell what color Gizmo is..He is a year and a half old.
I can not post a picture because all my pictures have to many pixels..I have photos on my website here is my link http://imageevent.com/thomasonratterriers
Gizmo's photo album is the 5th one down from the top.
Also i have 3 hoglets(the 1st litter i have ever had) listed 2nd album down from the top of my webpage..Any and all help with their colors would be very welcome..I have read alot on the color and patterns but i am still not sure what i have and my eyes r not what they used to be.
Thanks Larry

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Hm...I'm gonna guess that Gizmo is an algerian chocolate chip (algerian chocolate snowflake). And the babies you can't tell their color until they're nine weeks old, so you'll have to wait six weeks before you can get a definite color for them. They're adorable though! :)

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your input Lilysmommy..on the babies i was just hoping to have some kind of idea to tell the people who r buying them.
Thanks LarryT

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I would also guess Algerian Chocolate Snowflake on Gizmo.

The babies look like they will turn out to be Algerian chocolates/greys/dark greys/brown, etc. It's very hard to say at that age. :)

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind comment lalaith.
Daisy duke and gizmo get along great..sometimes daisy duke will try to groom him and when we go out daisy duke will not let any of my rat terriers get close to giz..she is very protective of him.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I must admit that I'm curious as to what breeder you purchased your hedgies from, that they could not give you an accurate color on the ones you bought. I noticed that you have babies posted on your website, and if you don't have specific colors from the previous breeder then I assume that you don't have pedigrees with known lineage backgrounds. Please note that hedgehogs whom don't have pedigrees should not be bred, as there is too much risk of inbreeding or WHS in the lineage.

·
Registered
764 Posts
PixiesExoticHedgies said:
I must admit that I'm curious as to what breeder you purchased your hedgies from, that they could not give you an accurate color on the ones you bought. I noticed that you have babies posted on your website, and if you don't have specific colors from the previous breeder then I assume that you don't have pedigrees with known lineage backgrounds. Please note that hedgehogs whom don't have pedigrees should not be bred, as there is too much risk of inbreeding or WHS in the lineage.
Some breeder are not very knowlegable with colors. I was told that my Litchi was a true "salt and peper" but she's really just a grey (maybe algerian, I'm not sure about the cheekpatch).

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was wanting to confirm the color so i asked for help.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So you DO have pedigrees on your hedgies? If so, please contact me and we could possibly work out something with 'breeder swapping' to introduce new lines into our herds.....since we both live in NC. Or I may be interested in purchasing from you as long as I can verify there is no relationship to any of my herd.

Pixie

·
Registered
475 Posts
UPDATE: "LarryT" contacted me and stated that he does NOT have pedigrees on his hedgies. I advised that he should not be breeding them and have referred him to the following topics.

Ethics of hedgehog breeding:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=349
Requirements for breeding:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=350
Breeding basics:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3
----------------------------------------
"LarryT" replied: Thanks for your comments but i don't need u to tell me what i should be doing I already have a mother As for the byb part i know where my babies came from and i dont need a peice of paper to tell me that --- Like i said i know where my hedgies came from and i am not in this for the money cause there is no profit to be made. You can call me what u want i love my hedgies and they r well taken care of.

What a shame! The term "backyard breeder" comes to my mind.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: "LarryT" contacted me and stated that he does NOT have pedigrees on his hedgies. I advised that he should not be breeding them and have referred him to the following topics.

Ethics of hedgehog breeding:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=349
Requirements for breeding:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=350
Breeding basics:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3
----------------------------------------
"LarryT" replied: Thanks for your comments but i don't need u to tell me what i should be doing I already have a mother As for the byb part i know where my babies came from and i dont need a peice of paper to tell me that --- Like i said i know where my hedgies came from and i am not in this for the money cause there is no profit to be made. You can call me what u want i love my hedgies and they r well taken care of.

What a shame! IMO he's just another backyard breeder.....
Pedigree
Sent at: Thu May 21, 2009 6:10 pm
by LarryT

I do not have a ped for all my hedgies.
This is the 1st PM i sent!Notice it says I do not have a ped for all my hedgies.
The 3 hedgies i have bred 2 females and 1 male have peds..My other male and female do not and they have not been bred 1 is 9 weeks the other is 16 weeks.
And by the way a Pm means Private not public forum :twisted:

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Pedigree
Sent at: Thu May 21, 2009 7:16 pm
To: LarryT

The hedgehog community is very tight knit and you can easily be blacklisted and labeled as a backyard breeder by not following the Breeder Code of Ethics. If that is what you want to be know as, then that is definitely your choice! Without a pedigree, you have absolutely no idea if you are inbreeding or if you are carrying WHS in your lines. Such a shame, that you have so little concern for the animals.

I love my animals! and who are u to judge me :x
When i stand before god i will be judged but not by u or anyone else ;)
U don't know me :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.