Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl Izzy just gave birth to 3 beautiful baby's,i didn't even know she was pregnant (she must have somehow gotten pregnant before i bought her) well its been 24 hours now and 2 of them look health and are running around,but the 3rd isn't moving around too much and it really worrying me, is there anything i can do to help? I wana do anything i can to save him/her

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'm not a breeder at ALL (I only just got my first hedgehog in August), but going by what the breeders on here have said about pregnant and new mothers, the best thing to do is make sure that mom and babies have a warm bed, plenty of food/water, and then just leave them alone. If you stress a hedgie mom out too much, she could kill the babies. Again, I'm not a breeder and don't have any experience with babies, but that's all I can think of. Hopefully one of the breeders can answer your question better soon. :? Congratulations on the babies though, and I hope that everyone does alright! :) The only other thing I can suggest is to search through this forum for more information on new mothers/babies and see if there's any other helpful advice from one of the breeders. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately, the baby has already passed,i was reading something on hand feeding and ran out to get the proper supplies, when i got back, she was already gone :( , this breaks my heart but at least the other two are healthy and running around, id just like to know what happened, the mother didn't seem to wanna take care of that one, but shes taking good care of the other two. Im really curios as to what went wrong and i wana prevent anything going wrong with the other two.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It could've just been that that baby was the runt of the litter, and wasn't healthy anyway. I know that sometimes with other animals, the mother can sense when something's wrong with a baby and will ignore it or try to kill it because she knows it's unlikely to survive anyway, and she has to concentrate on the healthy ones. That's great that the other two are alright, though. As long as you're careful to make sure nothing stresses the mom out, she should do alright taking care of them. Oh, but if you haven't already, make sure you remove the body of the dead baby, so that Mom doesn't try to eat it and it doesn't make the other babies sick. And I would say just leave them after that, as long as Mom has food and water available. It's good that you have the handfeeding supplies though, in case Mom decides to not take care of the other two for some reason. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice/help from the breeders on here tomorrow! :) Good luck with the remaining babies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i have already removed the dead body from the cage, though it looked like they wanted nothing to do with her when i found her (i think it was a female, i dont know how to check on newborns genders). thank you for your help and support anyway, i think the problem was something in her digestive track from what im reading (her underbelly was a kidda black n bluish, i thought it was due to malnourishment, but it could have been something else).

at the moment the mother and the other two are doing good, i must say it was a great surprise though having them, i never would have guessed she was pregnant.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sometimes a baby gets bruised during birth. Mom can sense when something is wrong with baby and will not care for it. Not much we can do when that happens. The success rate of hand raising from birth is only about 10%.

Give mom her space, just give her food and water. When the babies are about 10 days - 2 weeks old you may start handling, if mom is ok with it. Otherwise, do not peek on them or try to handle them. Mom could kill them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, theyve been in the hidaway all day today but yesterday they were around the cage, could it have something to do with the one that passed?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
It may or may not have something to do with it. If a mother is stressed or disturbed she will often abandon one or more of the babies. The best thing you can do for her right now is just leave her alone as much as possible, I know how hard it is to not peek or touch but its the best for them. I have raised a few litters now and never bother the mother other than to feed or water her. Wait till the babies are about 2 weeks old before bothering her to much. If you find she isn't staying in her hideaway try covering it with a piece of fleece to make it darker, sometimes that helps alot. Good luck and please feel free to ask any questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts