Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just joined the forum tonight as I brought my first hedgehog home last night and would like to ask for good solid advice on the height of the cage walls.

The wife and I are not new to exotics, we've had guinea pigs as pets for nearly 10 years now with an average heard size (all female) at any one time around 8 to 10, so as you might imagine we have pretty much gone through every type of cage you can think of from standard pet shop enclosures (zoozones & neros) to C&C and more recently custom builds out of timber.

I've read tons of different (and great) opinions on the height of walls an enclosure should have to keep your hedgehog safe, it's a very confusing jumble of opinions though...

I've seen people recommend over 12 inches in height for a tub etc. since hoglets are determined escapers and will somehow find a way... however from the photos I've seen, many folks who use C&C cages only put the correx / coroplast half way up the bars, which would (in my uneducated opinion) only make it easier for a hedgie to climb up & escape, no?

So I would really appreciate your opinions on what height would be best for a wooden enclosure.

I'm thinking of building a wooden enclosure for my new wee pygmy girl, and want it as low as possible (for ventilation, to be able to see and interact with her, and so I don't feel like I'm keeping her in a deep bin) ...but also high enough that it's safe for her.

I'm not planning any raised levels or ramps, just a large floor footprint, so your sage advice would be very greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Ryan.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Really, the most important thing for hedgehogs is you NEED a lid. Wall height isn't nearly as important as having a lid to prevent escaping.

For a cage like what you're planning, I would really suggest having a lid of some sort on the top, which could be a variety of things. You could do a wooden frame with metal screening in the middle, or you could use wire shelving, C&C cubes, etc. I would also suggest having either portholes on both ends & in the front with screening covering them, or just having the entire front open with screening, along with some holes in the sides, all for ventilation purposes. The only reason plastic tubs are recommended over glass aquariums is because you can put ventilation holes in the sides of the tubs.

And with a lid on the enclosure, also remember to make it plenty high enough for a wheel, which is a problem people usually run into with C&C and plastic tubs. Most wheels are around 12-13" in height.

And I'm sure you've already thought of it, but just in case, definitely make sure you seal the wood very well, both to protect it from urine & poop, and to ensure that if your hedgie ever ends up with mites, you won't have to throw out the whole cage. Mites can burrow into the wood if it isn't sealed and you can't get them out, so they can continue to reinfect your hedgie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Lilysmommy for taking the time to give me such a great response! Loads of great info in there that helps me out!!

I think I'll go with C&C as I'd hate to spend loads of money on timber and spend myself into a corner where I can't change the size later on... and I hadn't thought about your point about sealing the wood... that's fantastic to know about now rather than later :).

I think we may have spare grids in the garage from when we used to have our guinea pigs in C&C cages, so all I need to source is the correx / coroplast now.

We only got our little lass on Monday night, tonight we've taken the first photos so I'll head on over to the intros thread and post them.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Ryan.
:smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts