Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all! I made a C&C cage for the hedgie Im expecting in early February. I used these storage cubes that were recommended to me by a fellow hedgehog owner: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cube-grid-bin/3254073?Keyword=storage+cubes , but Im a little bit worried because they dont have the metal grid, but instead they have the plastic sides. The sides arent a hard plastic, but they arent completely flimsy either. Ive already set my cage up and sized the choroplast/set it up inside of it. I dont want to scrap the storage cubes, as I do like them and dont want to just waste money.

How should I attach my heat lamp? Should I clip it on the sides, or is it not a good idea? If so, how should I put the heat lamp in there then? Also, attached is a picture of my cage as I was building it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I don't see the picture of your cage attached. I don't see any reason why those cubes won't work. You will need a lid on it and wire shelving material works good for a lid and then you can just set the Ceramic Heat Emitter and dome fixture right on the wire top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see the picture of your cage attached. I don't see any reason why those cubes won't work. You will need a lid on it and wire shelving material works good for a lid and then you can just set the Ceramic Heat Emitter and dome fixture right on the wire top.
Whoops! Heres the image.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I was under the impression that most C&C cages didnt really need lids o: Ill make sure to grab another pack of them so that I can do that. Is it just so they dont climb out? Also, my choroplast lines the floor of the cage and goes to about 6" tall in the cage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's always a good idea to have a lid on your cage. It will stop your hedgie from climbing out and from things getting in. You may think your hedgehog isn't a climber and doesn't need a lid, buy don't be fooled! My Erin will only try and climb when she thinks I'm not looking.

Also if you have a dome lamp you can just rest the lamp on top of the lid as well. That's what I do. There's a really good thread containing loads of cage set up examples http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/#/forumsite/20593/topics/1611

I'm going to have to adjust my lid somehow I think because Erin knows that if she runs into one of the corners it's much harder to catch her :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How tall should the choroplast in my cage be then as well? Ill also put a lid on, however I cant put the heat lamp on the lid because its made of plastic rather than metal, and I fear it would melt. Suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's always a good idea to have a lid on your cage. It will stop your hedgie from climbing out and from things getting in. You may think your hedgehog isn't a climber and doesn't need a lid, buy don't be fooled! My Erin will only try and climb when she thinks I'm not looking.

Also if you have a dome lamp you can just rest the lamp on top of the lid as well. That's what I do. There's a really good thread containing loads of cage set up examples http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/#/forumsite/20593/topics/1611

I'm going to have to adjust my lid somehow I think because Erin knows that if she runs into one of the corners it's much harder to catch her :lol:
Also, the thread link didnt work, only went to the forum main page :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys think that one Che lamp will sufficently heat the cage? Its 2x2, with a 1x1 square attatched to it. There is also a loft in that 1x1 square. Im going to raise the walls on the side with a loft of course; I literally just put it in today out of randomness.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I can't help with the heating as I never used CHEs but I did want to say make sure that the loft is totally enclosed and that the ramp is enclosed too. Hedgehogs have bad depth perception and often will walk off an edge without knowing its there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts