Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend just recently got a rescue hedgehog this summer. She is estimated to be about 2 years old, but her background is relatively unknown except that her owners before us neglected her (wrong food, unclean environment, never clipped her nails, rarely had physical contact/affection). We just noticed tonight (Jan. 9 2014 at about 9:30pm) that she had pink-reddish urine, we assume that there is blood in it. We are going to take her to a vet ASAP, but in the mean time we want to know what to do to keep her comfortable, and some possible reasons that she is having this problem. Also, if you've had personal experience with something like this, how much did the vet bill end up looking like? We are in high school so we don't have giant amounts of money, but anything that we do have will go into helping her.

PS, we live in the Clastop County area of Oregon, if you have a way to direct me to a good vet that is knowledgeable concerning hedgehogs nearest me that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Probably UTI or some bacterial infection of some sort. Just keep her warm, keep her hydrated and make sure her private area is clean always while awaiting for a vet

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Bloody urine in females could be either a UTI or a uterine problem - it depends on where the blood is coming from, which is hard to tell with females. The best way to determine which one is a fine needle draw of urine directly from the bladder to see if there's blood present in it. If not, it's likely a uterine issue, which could require her needing to be spayed (which would be a bit expensive). If it's just a UTI, she should just need antibiotics to clear it up.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Nice! I'm glad you caught it fast, and that it will be easy to treat.

From the archives, you can try feeding her a bit of cranberry juice (some hedgehogs like it, some don't) to help with recovery. I wouldn't leave it out all the time as juice is sugary and can rot teeth (just like with people), so you'd ideally want her drinking water to rinse her mouth out! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts