Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new to these forums so sorry if i'm posting in the wrong spot! I will be getting a baby hedgie at the end of the month and am wondering about a few things.

1. I know that they need to be around 72-74 degrees. I have a wire cage. Is this what I would need for a proper setup to provide heat for him?

-Zoo Med Repticare 100 Watt Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter
100 Watts

-Fluker's Clamp Lamp
Cord: 6' Length; 10" Diameter; 250 Watts

-Zoo Med Digital Thermometer

-Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat

2. I've read that they need 12-14 hours of "light". Will normal sunlight be enough for them during the day if their cage is somewhat near a window? Or should I get a light that can be programmed to come on/turned off at certain times?

3. How easy is it to potty train them???

4. He will just be a baby when I get him. Is there any kind of special food he should be eating? I was at the pet store today and saw that they had special hedgehog food. I looked it up and saw that a lot of people don't like it because it is expensive and really isn't that good for them. Iv'e read that cat food that is 35% protein and less than 15% fat? is the best route along with some meal worms as treats.

5. Any advice for a first time hedgie owner? Especially a baby one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PS. I am in the US and I can either go to Petco (which is closer) or to PetSmart.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on getting a baby, soon! I got my hedgehog, Echo, as a baby a few months ago, and it's one of the best things I ever did!

1. Those temperatures range just a tiny bit on the cold side. It's recommended they be kept at 73-78 degrees F. I keep Echo at about 75-76 degrees.
Those items will be fine, but, just as a warning, I heard the Zoo Med thermostat doesn't have numbers on it, so you'll have to keep a close eye on the thermometer to make sure you get the correct temperature. I use the Zilla 1000-Watt Thermostat. You can also try putting up your heat set up 24 hours before you go get your hedgehog, that way everything is ready.

2. Sunlight from a window is not recommend because, as winter comes, the days get shorter. A desk lamp hooked up to a timer is the best option.

3. I haven't potty trained Echo, so I have no experience on the subject, but I heard it just depends on the hedgehog. Some take to it, some don't. Someone else could probably talk more on it.

4. Do not use hedgehog food. It is complete junk, but it looks like you know that. There is no special food, just make sure you get some of the food the breeder used so you can slowly transition him to the food you will feed him. I use Purina One Beyond White Meat Chicken and Whole Oatmeal which has 36% protein, 15% fat, and 4% fiber, but it is recommended you use a mix of two or more foods. Meal worms are great treats, just make sure they are canned or live. Freeze dried is not recommended.

5. Be prepared to have people ask questions. I tell people I have a hedgehog, and a lot of people want to know more about them, what they are, etc.
Also, be prepared for poopy wheels. Babies poop a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!! With the zilla thermostat would I still need that thermometer then? or does it show you the temperature with the probe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have a light and a timer. His cage will be in a room with a window and shades. Should I keep the shades closed and keep the light on during the day? or should I keep the shades open and the light on at the same time? With the shades closed there is still some sunlight that comes through

1 - 5 of 5 Posts