Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
No, there isn't really a policy. I guess it depends on the topic/post because bringing up some old topics is rather pointless. Sometimes people will bring up and reply to old topics/posts just to up their post count. That is frowned on. :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It's obnoxious but no, I don't think there are any official "rules". I hope it's implied that dragging up ancient threads for stupid reasons is frowned upon, pretty much internet-wide.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Commenting for the sake of "oh cool" or "I agree" on something that's really old is, well, pointless. BUT, if you find a topic that is exactly what you were about to post, and you still had a question even after reading through the thread, I'd say chime in with your question because it keeps the forum "clean". Which in turn could help with the Search feature.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with krbhappy71. I don’t see anything wrong with new members reviewing old archival threads. In fact, everyone should be encouraged to do so before starting a new thread because the subject might have been discussed a hundred times over in the past.

And after having read the old thread, if the person still has a question or has new information to add that’s relevant, I think it is not only appropriate but preferable for the person to post in the old thread, rather than in a new and separate thread. That way people can see the chronology and read other people’s replies to be better informed on the subject.

Having said that, I also agree if the new post is just an “idle talk” and doesn’t offer any new info or doesn’t pose a new question that is worthy of discussion, then it’s totally pointless to post and people should be strongly advised against it.;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I love necroposting by new members. It means they are doing what we say over and over... "read the existing posts before asking a question". So what if they respond "awww cute!" to an old thread. It's often an impulse and they aren't checking the date. If they ask a pertinent question or add annecdata to an existing thread, it only enhances the data available.

As long as someone is not psychoposting to old threads, I'm against passing any rule about bringing up old threads.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
HedgeMom said:
I love necroposting by new members. It means they are doing what we say over and over... "read the existing posts before asking a question". So what if they respond "awww cute!" to an old thread. It's often an impulse and they aren't checking the date. If they ask a pertinent question or add annecdata to an existing thread, it only enhances the data available.

As long as someone is not psychoposting to old threads, I'm against passing any rule about bringing up old threads.
I feel the same way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that if it's to bring up a topic that the new poster has questions about, or to add extra information that people might not have known, it's fine. It's necroposting in the sense of bringing up a topic that has completely served its purpose and has been dead for over a month for the sole purpose of adding "I agree!" or "I feel the same way!" type comments that most people have a problem with.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Many times though it is occurring when a new member comes on and are reading through old posts for care information which is a good thing. People are not always going to think of the date before posting especially if they have been reading for a long time. When I first started on this forum, it would be nothing for me to be reading an hour or two at time and posts have a tendency to blur from new to old the longer you are reading. Even though I personally have no problem with it I understand some peoples view differ, I love that people have different opinions even if they differ from my own. The important thing in my opinion is that the person confronted is done so in a polite manner so that they feel comfortable to post questions or concerns at a future date. This is not directed at anyone or anything in peticular, this is just something that I have wished to share on the subject :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes it is great when new members bring up old posts. We do encourage people to research and commenting on these threads is fine. Even a couple of "aw cutes" is fine. The ones I am against are when it is obvious someone is just going down the list of threads and making one or two word comments usually to up their post count. It doesn't happen very often on here but sure does on some other forums.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I first started reading all the posts, I would confuse myself by looking at the joined date of the person responding, instead of the post date. :oops:

There were so many things I learned from new & old posts alike. I never commented, for several reasons. I wanted to make sure that this was something I wanted to do first. I didn't have anyting of substance to contribute. I was nothing but questions, but reading all the posts helped answer so many. If I still had a question, I wrote it down - and it usually came up later in another forum. I guess it was also because y'all didn't have any idea who I was. Didn't want to make a fool of myself. Now that I have a tiny of my own, feel less nervous about posting. I'm part of the club. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope that nobody's taking my post to mean that they're not welcome to ask questions! I think that this forum is a fantastic place to learn, and to share information. I don't know what I would have done without it!
I just saw the "new posts" page filling up with threads that were last posted in 2008 or 2009, and wanted to know what the policy was, as most other forums I'm part of have a "please don't bring up a thread if it hasn't been active for over 2 months" kind of thing. If people have something to contribute, or want to ask a question or get more information, then they should feel free to bring up a post that includes their question etc. I hope nobody took this to mean that they shouldn't be posting at all!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
nessariel said:
I hope that nobody's taking my post to mean that they're not welcome to ask questions!
I didn't take it like that, I just took it as you sharing your opinion :) I added in on the subject with my opinion but I didn't think you meant for no one to post.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I didn't take it that way either. I'm new to forums anyway, but it just didn't feel right for me to post every "how cute" or "I agree" thought I had, even before reading the guidelines. Esp. on old posts. That being said, I love it when people comment on my pictures, and am slowly feeling more comfortable posting comments myself. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts