Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took Oscar to the vet last Thursday, I asked the vet if he could cut his nails and after he examined Oscar he said that with the exception of two nails on one of his back feet, Oscar's nails were really short, basically to the quick. He said if he would cut Oscar's nails they'd bleed everywhere and of course, we didn't want that. He then asked me if I allowed Oscar to dig or had a dig box and I know that's not the reason his nails are so short because I don't have a dig box.

I brought Oscar home on May 21st of this year and haven't clipped his nails the entire time he's been with me. I've attempted to do so, but he hates holding still haha :) So that's when I decided I'd have the vet do it, only to find out his nails didn't need to be clipped? :0

The only things that are always left in his cage are his igloo, fleece scraps/liners, food/water bowls, litter pan, PVC pipe, a little cat ball with a bell in it and CSW. I have a Ferret Nation 142 if that matters.

So the only explanation I can think of is maybe he runs so much his nails get worn down?
Any other ideas?

G

·
Kenzy said:
When I took Oscar to the vet last Thursday, I asked the vet if he could cut his nails and after he examined Oscar he said that with the exception of two nails on one of his back feet, Oscar's nails were really short, basically to the quick. He said if he would cut Oscar's nails they'd bleed everywhere and of course, we didn't want that. He then asked me if I allowed Oscar to dig or had a dig box and I know that's not the reason his nails are so short because I don't have a dig box.

I brought Oscar home on May 21st of this year and haven't clipped his nails the entire time he's been with me. I've attempted to do so, but he hates holding still haha :) So that's when I decided I'd have the vet do it, only to find out his nails didn't need to be clipped? :0

The only things that are always left in his cage are his igloo, fleece scraps/liners, food/water bowls, litter pan, PVC pipe, a little cat ball with a bell in it and CSW. I have a Ferret Nation 142 if that matters.

So the only explanation I can think of is maybe he runs so much his nails get worn down?
Any other ideas?
Hedgehog's don't run on their nails so that's unlikely, however my one girl Celeste is a huge self groomer on her belly, fur and I've seen her cleaning her feet (I give her foot baths everyday just cause I think its gross she licks poopy feet lol) I suppose cause I have seen a kind of gnaw from her that they can somewhat groom their nails to an extent. Although I've clipped Celes and only had her for a bit over a week (She is a rescue from a pet shop life), so I cannot really be sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts