Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last post i think for awhile (thanks so much btw!!) but i noticed Zee's (my new rescue hedgie) nails are very long, and curving to the side :shock: now i CAN cut nails, ive done ferrets and rats and cats and dogs, etc... so the actuall cuting OF the nail is not the problem... but...

how do i get her to let me grab her foot? she will unball and lick us and waddle around, but when we try to pet her or pick her up she balls up again. should i take her to the vet and have them give her a little sedation to cut them the first time?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You can put her in a small sterlite tub filled with warm water that is just above her feet and that way she won't be able to ball up. Just grab her foot and baby nail clippers and go at it. Make sure she is completely dry before you put her back in her cage, too. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
With the help of my mom, I do the flip-over-on-side-covered-in-a-towel-and-for-heaven's-sake-keep-his-head-covered method. :D

Similar to the way you lance boils on barn cats.... :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tie-dye hedgie said:
You can put her in a small sterlite tub filled with warm water that is just above her feet and that way she won't be able to ball up. Just grab her foot and baby nail clippers and go at it. Make sure she is completely dry before you put her back in her cage, too. :)
thats an awesome idea! she isnt mean, just scared, so i think that will work great ;) it will be like a little hedgie spa LOL

thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts