Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I tried trimming Sonic's nails for the first time. I saw that 2 nails on each of his back feet were getting kinda long. First I tried waiting for him to unball and quickly grab a foot. Next I tried getting them while he was in a little water and that still didn't work. I quit for the night and decided to try again today. This time I tried the wire through the feet method. I had my dad hold the wire part while I tried to trim the nails but Sonic would not stay still. He finally let me get one nail and then I decided to stop because he was pretty agitated. I planning on getting more tomorrow but does any one have other methods I could try?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
With my tiny friend, we go for the, "Wake him up a half-hour earlier than normal, and clip while he's sleepy." I consider it a two-person job: one to hold the hedgehog steady and be calming, and the other to clip. Even so, we only manage 1 foot per night (luckily, only 2 nails per foot grow enough to require trimming).

Does your prickly friend have any activities where he's more calm & cuddly than usual? For ours, going nose-to-nose with a human is absolutely fascinating and he goes totally still to concentrate on sniffing. I've heard other people give their hedgehog a treat (mealworm) and clip while they're distracted. I've also heard some hedgies will relax and submit to stroking/petting that might aid in having a very calm still hog.

That's all totally hedgehog-dependent, though. Mine gets very excited and wiggly when he smells a treat, and slurps mealworms up so fast I'd never be able to clip even if he was eerily still, and huff-puffs at any pets he doesn't initiate (and initiating involves a whole lot of wiggles). Likewise, I can't even imagine how other people's bathtimes go that a manicure could fit in -- for us it's a high-energy bathtub-roaming chase of splashing feet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For Helga her front ones were not that bad to do. My DH helped me and we got them with no prob. Her back ones. I gave up after she drew blood. But this past Tuesday I woke her up and before she could think twice I was able to get all but one back one myself. she gave me the best birthday gift she let me trim her back nails. I think the key was getting her when he first woke up.

That's what worked for me. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts