Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am new to hedgie ownership. I have had my hedgie for about 3 weeks and I am having a difficult time trimming her nails. She will not hold still and she starts to get very huffy when I go to trim her nails. I want to make the experience as pleasant as possible so it become easier for both of us.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most people recommend doing it directly after bathing them/foot bathing them. In the week and a half I've had my girl, I've successfully clipped her nails twice while she sleeps on me. Not sure how cuddly your girl is, but I wait for mine to splat on my arm/hand and then I go for it. Try watching a couple youtube tutorials maybe? Good luck :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've actually trimmed my hedgehog's nails when they are in the bath. If you do it this way, just make sure that she doesn't get water in her nose.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I usually trim my girl's nails right after a bath (either a foot bath or a full bath), since the nails are softer and easier to cut. Most hedgehogs don't like water, and will "scramble" about in the water. Therefore, when you take them out, sometimes they will be tired and more willing to let you touch their feet. Also, I've learned a trick - let your hedgehog rest on a towel/flat surface, then slide the nail clipper under each nail and quickly cut the nail. That way you don't have to touch their feet. But you have to be super cautious using that trick, because your hedgehog could move its feet at any moment.

There is a youtube video of a guy that trims his hedgie's nails by putting it on a plate filled with its favorite treats (in his case, peas and corn), then quickly trimming the nails while the hedgehog is distracted by the food.

Also, it helps a lot to touch your hedgehog's feet during bonding/cuddle time, when your hedgehog is calm and relaxed. That way she will be used to you touching her feet, and hopefully won't get huffy when you try to trim her nails. Good luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts