Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clipped Zannah's nails for the first time tonight. Well, the back ones. I was completely dreading this, but I knew it needed to happen soon. I was planning on just doing it after I give her a bath tomorrow, but she was sitting all calmly in my hands tonight when I was going to put her back in her cage, so I thought I'd give it a shot now. She really did so well. She didn't seem to mind me getting the back ones much at all, I just positioned her foot at the edge of my hand and went to work. She kept putting her quills up and hissing, I think because she was unsure of the clippers themselves at first, but seemed to have no problems with the clipping and sat very still for me.
She was a lot more protective of her front paws, so I didn't push it tonight. I figure I'll try those after the bath tomorrow.
But anyway, I know there's lots of posts about this, but I just wanted to check that I'd gotten them pretty well. I did notice one of them still looked kind of long, so the longest nail in the pictures was clipped after I took the pictures.
I'll probably check them again tomorrow after the bath when I'm doing (or trying to do) the front ones, but did I do a decent job for the first shot at it?
Also any tips to being able to get to her front paws? She tends to pull them really close, whereas the back ones she isn't nearly as particular about.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Looks great! :D Good job! Nail trimming doesn't have to be a scary thing at all, glad it went so well for you both!

Everyone seems to have a different method. What works best for me for the front ones is to hold the hedgie with one hand (and sort of my wrist also) so their back is against my chest, they're facing away from me, so my hand/wrist supporting against their belly gets in the way of any balling up. Then I snag one foot at a time and go at it.

I really prefer cuticle trimmers instead of small human nail clippers. I find that they give better visibility and also better control, since you're handling them with your full hand, not just a few fingers. They look like this: http://pics2.ds-static.com/prodimg/239871/300.JPG

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thank you! I'll definitely try that way for her front paws and maybe pick up some of those cuticle trimmers next Time I'm shopping. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts