Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris and I gave Leonidas his first bath (since we got him). He was surprisingly really good, he wasnt panicky (i have no idea how to spell that :oops: ) and he wasnt huffy and puffy. granted, when the actual washing part came he wasnt so fond of it, but he still wasnt huffy or anything :) and then.. dundunduuunnn... came the nail clipping time! Chris immediatly said "im not doing it!" so he held leo and i clipped his back nails. i did the big long one first, just a smidge, then then i actually clipped it :) after i got one tootsie done he was kicking and fussing so chris put him back in the towel and let him chill for a minute, then it was time for the second tootsie:) he didnt fuss or even kick! i wish i had pictures to show you of leonidas's first bathtime, buuutt i was too wrapped up in the moment to be thinking about snapping some pictures :)

Thanks to everyone who has postings on here about nail clipping, they really helped and i probably would have been alot more tense about the "dreaded nail clipping" if it wasnt for reading those :D

--if youre just about to clip your little ones nails for the first time, i REALLY recommend reading posts about it first, especially this one
http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well done :) thats great news. I was the same i was worrying like anything and my boyfriend flat out refused because his nails and feet are too small, so I was left to do it, and my little one was good as gold, although now he is becoming wise to it and when i grab his foot to go for the nail he turns round and looks as tho hes trying to bite me. He hasn't bitten me ever, but he did bite my ring when i clipped his toes last so i'm hoping its not going to become a habit. You will find it ok now you've done it the 1st time and you'll get more confident like i did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i hope he doesnt turn around and decide to bite you! i hope it gets less nerve racking, im sure leonidas will figure out how to do something like yours did too :lol: i read a post about putting him on a mesh cage topper, but i dont think i will do that one, it seems kinda sketchy for me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well recently Turbo has decided he doesnt like his nails cut unless his head is covered, so i put him on a fleece and cover his head so hes hiding and then attack his little toes :lol: It works for most of the toes he gets a restless after a bit.

Have you been brave enough to attack the front toes? Turbo DOES NOT like his front toes being touched, thankfully they dont grow as fast as the back ones.

·
Administrator
3,591 Posts
I'm one of those people that if I cannot hold the hedgehog's foot I'm not comfortable with clipping its nails. When I hold them I at least get some warning that the hedgehog is moving before I clip.

To help you get comfortable, pretend you are clipping nails. Hold the hedgehog regularly like you would to clip nails and hold their feet still. It should help both of you relax a bit when it is really time for nail clipping.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Kalandra said:
I'm one of those people that if I cannot hold the hedgehog's foot I'm not comfortable with clipping its nails. When I hold them I at least get some warning that the hedgehog is moving before I clip.

To help you get comfortable, pretend you are clipping nails. Hold the hedgehog regularly like you would to clip nails and hold their feet still. It should help both of you relax a bit when it is really time for nail clipping.
Do people really clip their nails without holding the foot? Their foot is sooo tiny i wouldnt dare, one swift move by the hedgie and its foot would get hurt :cry:

·
Administrator
3,591 Posts
I've seen people suggest methods which include not holding onto feet. Methods they stated worked for them. I had one tell me to let the hedgehog walk around on a mesh grid. As the nails poke through clip them. I asked how they were holding the leg still, they said they don't they just do it quickly. Worked for them I guess. For me, I'm not that fast to catch a nail before the hedgehog decides to move again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pffft with *my* anxiety, nail clipping usually takes a good 15 minutes as I clip one or two nails and take a little break for the hedger and for me. :roll: I always make sure I am pretty calm before I attempt to clip a nail just because I am worried my hogs will pick up on my nervousness and freak out themselves. For the most part, they are pretty good about it once they getting the wiggling out of their system.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Calvin I can hold onto his foot to clip the nail. He wiggles a lot, but will let me do it. Ender HATES me even going near his feet. He very quickly gets stressed and starts pooping all over the place (not even normal poo) He's pretty smart about figuring out what I'm up to and then freaking out.

I did sneak in and clip a nail while he was curled up in my hand. No luck on the others at the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pipkin said:
Have you been brave enough to attack the front toes? Turbo DOES NOT like his front toes being touched, thankfully they dont grow as fast as the back ones.
I havent done his front toesies yet, but he doesnt need them done now so i have a while before i have to climb that mountain:) and i definitely wouldnt do it without holding his foot because i am wayyy to afraid of hurting my little guy :?

jopenguin said:
Calvin I can hold onto his foot to clip the nail. He wiggles a lot, but will let me do it. Ender HATES me even going near his feet. He very quickly gets stressed and starts pooping all over the place (not even normal poo) He's pretty smart about figuring out what I'm up to and then freaking out.

I did sneak in and clip a nail while he was curled up in my hand. No luck on the others at the time.
he potties on you? :eek: thats upsetting, im sorry :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts