Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penny has had a strange skin condition for the past few months. I've taken her to two different vets (best exotic vets in the surrounding area) and no one has been able to give a clear diagnosis. She has been losing quills (which has decreased recently) as well as developing weird white bumps/areas of her skin. The bumps occasionally form a white head and are filled with mucous. Anyways... the vet(s) have tried antibiotics for thirty days, a steroid/antibacterial spray, and antibacterial/antifungal shampoo with no improvement. She is now on Revolution to completely rule out mites as well as Itraconazole.

She LOVES the Itraconazole (it's flavored with chicken flavoring). Problem is... every time I've given it to her so far, she anoints. Is she still getting the medication? I'm hoping this will decrease as I continue to give it to her, but I just want to be sure she is still getting the dose of medication even with the anointing.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Have you tried interrupting her before she really gets going with the annointing? I know if I startled Lily or handled her when she looked like she was about to annoint, she'd usually stop. Not sure if that was a Lily thing or if it'd work on other hedgies though! I would definitely try to keep her from annointing if you can. I would be nervous about her losing even a little of the medication, since it's not ideal.

I'm sorry you guys still haven't been able to figure out what's going on! :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts