Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I thought I would chime in since I have a very similar situation. I got Meeko as a rescue and as it turned out he had mites from his previous (not so attentive) owners keeping him in the shredded bedding and they must have gotten a bad batch. Anyway I took him in for the swelling in his leg (which is when the doc found the mites) and she theorized that it was an infection from the mites (didn't explain this very much). She prescribed the antibiotic Cipro in the same dosage pattern you described at 0.2 mL/cc each dose crushed into Karo syrup.

Here was my issue: she forgot to tell me how long he needed to receive the meds like this. So even though I called and emailed, etc. I got no response from the clinic. I was on my own. When the leg had reduced swelling to the point of seeming normal, I stopped because I was worried about him having so much sugar from the Karo syrup (especially since he already gets baby food added to his cat food every night). Anyway, I guess I made a mistake and quit too soon because now it's back and since I am currently inbetween jobs, my only option (unless it's emergency) is to pick up where I left off and start the antibiotics again to see if it helps. My doc offered to do a biopsy and what not as well, but said only if the antibiotics had no effect - which they did, it just took quite a while. Even though the hedgies are small - think about how little of a dose they are getting when you measure it out. Especially considering how long it takes us to over come an infection. When I was in the hospital I had to be on antibiotics for three weeks (that was one whole pills twice a day). It will take my little guy three weeks to finish one bottle which is what one single pill fits in (30 mL bottle - crushed pill - filled with Karo syrup - shaken to a mix as best as possible). Not sure how long your doc let you try it but maybe it wasn't long enough. I'm starting to think mine wan't entirely mite related because his mites have been long gone - you would think the infection would be too if that were the case. Idk, just thought it might help to share with you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's an interesting point.

The first antibiotic was for 7 days and once a day. This second round was for me to use up the bottle and to give him dosage twice a day. That lasted two weeks. The vet doesn't want to do any more because of possible damage from the med. He also feels that any possible infection would be gone.

But I do wonder if Sonic should have been on the antibiotics longer, since your experience was needing to go 3 weeks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since there is swelling see if the vet can give you some metacam (or equivalent, it is basically Advil for pets) since the antibiotics are not helping. I seen it was mentioned before. The dose is really small my guy is on 0.25cc(mL) a day (he has tendinitis). It might help reduce some of the swelling and inflammation if it is caused by tissue swelling.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.