Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Can you post pictures of the swelled legs? Are they discolored at all, or just swelled? Does he react in any way if you squeeze them? Do they feel squishy (like they're swelled with fluid) or like normal legs that just happen to be three times thicker?

Did the vet do any kind of tests at all for the first visit, before he gave the antibiotics? Or are the antibiotics just kind of a "Toss this at the problem & see if it improves"? It seems like some testing may be helpful for narrowing down the options, but I don't have a ton of medical/health experience with hedgehogs, so I'm not sure exactly what would be helpful. The usual things are typically bloodwork, and perhaps x-rays or other types of scans to see if the legs look normal internally or if anything else becomes apparent. Hopefully Nancy or Kalandra will be by with some advice - they're the two most experienced ones I know on here with health issues.

All of that said...I'd highly recommend changing your wheel. Mesh surfaces are not good for hedgehogs, and though you haven't had a problem yet, it's possible for them to catch nails or toes while running and injure themselves. Typically a solid-surface wheel is the best option to make sure they stay safe. Store-bought wheels are Flying Saucers or Comfort Wheels (NOT Silent Spinners - they have slits that also catch nails/toes), or the best & most-preferred wheels are bucket wheels or cake cover wheels, which can be bought online (for about the same cost - $20 from some sellers) or made yourself. Those wheels are easy to clean & usually pretty silent.

Hopefully we can all get this figured out for your little guy...poor baby, this sounds like it must be pretty uncomfortable!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Ouch...that definitely looks uncomfortable, poor guy! :(

Like I said, try to (gently) feel his legs & see if they're squishy-feeling, feel firm, etc. Basically, if it feels like the swelling is fluid or if it's more solid. There'll be different ideas/suggestions for what might be wrong depending on what the legs are actually swelling with/from.

It seems like it might be useful to see if the vet can get a sample from the swelled legs - either of tissue (maybe?), or if they seem to be swelled with fluid, take a sample of the fluid. It seems like he was just taking a shot in the dark to prescribe antibiotics and more testing would be a good idea to try & narrow down the possibilities of what it might be.

That all said, maybe Nancy will have some other suggestions! If she contradicts me, listen to her. :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Thank you for updating us! I hope your little guy stays comfortable despite the weirdness with his legs. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.