Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those "space blankets" made of mylar, that I never use, and I was wondering: Would it be safe to cover one side of the cage with the mylar to help it retain heat, or will I be accidentally cooking my hedgie instead of helping it stay warm? I've read about weaving mylar into the bars to prevent climbing, but is draping a whole mylar blanket over the back of my cage safe? Does anyone know if it would be the same as covering a side with a regular blanket to keep the heat in, or are the reflective properties of mylar too strong?

Thanks! (p.s. 20 days till I get Winston!)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I googled mylar, looks like the silver blankets they give runners after a race or come in an emergency kit for heat retention. I don't know about using it as part of your regular set up. I have one in case of a power outage that I throw over the cage to keep the heat in during an outage.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hedgielover said:
Maybe you should try it without your hedgehog in the cage and see how hot it gets.
Good call. Sometimes the most obvious answers seem to escape me... Maybe I just think too much. :roll:

I'm going to do a full test run of my heat setup tonight, to see if it all works together. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts