Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my hedgehog for alittle over a year. About a month ago we discovered that she ruptured one of her eyes with one of her back claws by accident. We took her to the vet asap and the vet said to give her these pain killers and antibiotics and after a week or so we would get her eye removed so that it wont get infected.

Well she got better quickly and no infection occured. Her eye seemed almost to recede into her head almost like it was never there so its tissue showing were her eye was. Since she got along fine the vet said they wouldnt have to remove her eye. Now ive noticed that she seems to have A. either gotten really okay with my handling or B. is starting to lose eyesight in her other eye. It seems at times she cant see my hand there and yet at other times its like just seeing movement she freaks.

If she is blind, i really dont think I'd have to put her to sleep like my mom says. She still eats well, walks good, drinks, sleeps and excersizes well. Everythings fine but her sight, but idk what do you guys think?

·
Registered
395 Posts
my grandpa had a teacup poodle with cataracts. The dog could barely see, but because of routine she could get around the house with ease and lived an amazing life. She was the liveliest 15 year old dog i have ever seen.

Just because an animal is blind does not mean it does not have a good quality of life. If an animal can still eat, drink, poop and wheel properly, i think it has a darn good life, and bad eyesight isn't hurting it to much.

(hedgehogs naturally have bad eyes)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, and ive talked my mom out of putting her to sleep.and personally ever since her eyesight has gotten worse shes become alot more trusting. Which is nice... no more bitten fingers. :D thanx for replying!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am glad your mom changed her mind.

Just make sure that if her quality of life does start to deteriorate, you make the right decision for both of you. Remember it isn't fair to make your hedgie suffer just because it is hard to let go.

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blind hedgie can do just fine. Hedgies don't have great eye sight to begin with, they are more dependent on smell and hearing.

It sounds like you are doing a good job taking care of her. I'm sure she is grateful for that.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Many people have blind hedgies including myself and they do just fine. My KeiLei shows no indications that she is blind and watching her most of the time there is nothing that would hint that she is blind.

If your girl is, just make sure you arrange her cage the same way each time and speak to her before you pick her up so as not to startle her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts