Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time hedgie owner. Her name is Bianca and I'm totally in love. I got her on December 15th and she travelled really well with me for Christmas. She was born on Ocober 31, 2009.

She gets along great with my cats and on the first day I had her even snuggled up to my 17 lb mainecoon fur baby.

I was wondering what average weights are for hedgies....she seems to be growing really fast right now. I'm also seeing her scratch a bit (once or twice after I get her up). Is this a sign of needing a bath or just normal itches?

Can they get fleas? I'm on the board of a cat rescue group and some of the new babies have fleas. Of course they are immediately treated but I want to protect Bianca. Can I use flea treatment on her too?

Oh and she doesn't seem to like Meal worms. Is this a problem? I haven't tried crickets or non dry versions of the meal worm but I don't want to waste a lot of money on something if she doesn't like it.

Thanks everyone for you help!

Melissa

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby! She sure is cute!

As for the itches, it is normal that your hedgie will itch a bit at this young age. When they are 7 or so weeks old, they will quill, and that causes them to be a bit itchy. They also quill at 3 months and 6 months. I supose it's possible for anyone to get fleas, but not usual. We treat our hedgehogs here with Revolution. That protects them against mites. It should do the trick for fleas, too. Check the box. I wouldn't use any other flea stuff on your hedgie, though. Revolution is very very safe. You just need one drop of it at the shoulder blades for your baby.

Baby hedgehogs do grow very quickly. That is normal! They usually grow between 5-10 grams a day!

I hope you continue to enjoy your baby!

Helen Justis
http://www.sunshinequillhedgehogs.com

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's so cute she snuggles with your Maine ****! I am imagining it now! AWwwWWwww

Congrats it sounds like you have a snuggler! She's beautiful!

sunshinequill said:
Revolution is very very safe. You just need one drop of it at the shoulder blades for your baby.

http://www.sunshinequillhedgehogs.com
This sounds like something I might try and soon Stella will be introduced to outside playtime.

How often do you renew the revolution?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
She's beautiful, congratulations :) It makes me nervous too about them interacting with other animals but it does sound adorable if you're 100% sure that the cat wouldn't harm him, some of the nicest tempered animals can act out of jealousy and thats why Im afraid to let mine meet the dog.

I look forward to stories and pictures in the future and would like to say Welcome to HHC :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
mkmanuel said:
Oh and she doesn't seem to like Meal worms. Is this a problem? I haven't tried crickets or non dry versions of the meal worm but I don't want to waste a lot of money on something if she doesn't like it.

Melissa
My hedgie doesn't like mealies either, she'll eat them if we mix them with food, but if she doesn't like them you shouldn't worry.
Try a small piece of cut carrot but watch her! They can choke.

Maybe even a little wet kitty food as a treat- try small veggies but be sure to check the list of toxic foods first!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40

good luck, and if you ever have questions ask away! These breeders and Hedgie lovers will have many many many suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How often do you renew the revolution?

Unfortunately, it doesn't last long once it's been opened. I was told by my mentor when starting out that I had to use fresh every time. I use a whole vial because we have a herd here, so none gets wasted. That's a question you'll need to confirm with your vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.